Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Worksheets are not protected - but Tools menu has unprotect w/s?

We work with over 200 password protected files. These are not shared files.
We have had a problem with one of our files where all of the worksheets
except one are not protected any more.
But when I go to the tools menu - It shows Unprotect worksheet and asks for
the password. As if all of the sheets are protected - but they aren't.
If I unprotect and then re-protect the sheets with the password the sheets
are locked.
I just don't know how this could have happened and don't want it to happen
again. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Worksheets are not protected - but Tools menu has unprotect w/

Thanks,
We actually don't have a VBA code written to protect the workbook.
We use a macro from another file that will protect each sheet and the
workbook.
I can't figure out why the worksheets are unprotected but in the tool menu
it shows that they are protected. The other problem is it is acting like a
shared file now. If I have it open other people can open it and it isn't read
only.

"dennyjo" wrote:

We work with over 200 password protected files. These are not shared files.
We have had a problem with one of our files where all of the worksheets
except one are not protected any more.
But when I go to the tools menu - It shows Unprotect worksheet and asks for
the password. As if all of the sheets are protected - but they aren't.
If I unprotect and then re-protect the sheets with the password the sheets
are locked.
I just don't know how this could have happened and don't want it to happen
again. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

dennyjo

Just play around a bit with protection on a new blank worksheet You will
see that it is possible for a sheet to be protected, but still for the user
to be able to enter pretty much any data they like. That happens if you just
do ToolsProtect, but then don't choose any checkboxes.

Could that be what has happened to your file? Maybe someone else is making
this kind of change without your knowledge. Also, if you don't like the
sharing, go into Tools Share workbook and turn it off.

--
Allllen