Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ken Ken is offline

Default Detect Presence Formula

I need a formula that will detect the presence of a value in an unsorted
named array.

Column A would be the named array.
Column B would be the value I want to test for.
Column C would be the formula.

So, this is sort of what it would look like. "D" is the only value that
would return a True because it is the only value present in the named array.

D I False
B O False
W D True
T A False
J P False

Anyone know how to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes:)

Unfortunately, on my PC at home :(

If no one helps before then, I'll chime in.

Ken wrote:
I need a formula that will detect the presence of a value in an unsorted
named array.

Column A would be the named array.
Column B would be the value I want to test for.
Column C would be the formula.

So, this is sort of what it would look like. "D" is the only value that
would return a True because it is the only value present in the named array.

D I False
B O False
W D True
T A False
J P False

Anyone know how to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try something like this:

With your posted data in A1:B5

C1: =(COUNTIF($A$1:$A$5,B1)0)
copy that formula down through C5

or...if you want to search the entire column
=(COUNTIF(A:A,B1)0)

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Ken" wrote:

I need a formula that will detect the presence of a value in an unsorted
named array.

Column A would be the named array.
Column B would be the value I want to test for.
Column C would be the formula.

So, this is sort of what it would look like. "D" is the only value that
would return a True because it is the only value present in the named array.

D I False
B O False
W D True
T A False
J P False

Anyone know how to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the feedback.....I'm glad that worked for you.

Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP