LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster

Default merge cell is disabled

how will I enable merge cell and other toolbars. the file was shared and
tried to save as and make another name but still can't make it unshared.

What will I do? Please help

#2   Report Post  
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: merge cell is disabled

If the merge cell option is disabled in Excel, it could be due to the file being shared or protected. Here are some steps you can take to enable the merge cell option and other toolbars:
  1. Check if the file is shared: If the file is shared, you will need to unshare it before you can enable the merge cell option. To do this, go to the Review tab and click on the Share Workbook button. In the Share Workbook dialog box, uncheck the "Allow changes by more than one user at the same time" option and click OK.
  2. Check if the file is protected: If the file is protected, you will need to unprotect it before you can enable the merge cell option. To do this, go to the Review tab and click on the Protect Workbook button. In the Protect Structure and Windows dialog box, uncheck the "Structure" option and click OK.
  3. Check if the worksheet is protected: If the worksheet is protected, you will need to unprotect it before you can enable the merge cell option. To do this, right-click on the worksheet tab and select Unprotect Sheet. Enter the password if prompted.
  4. Check if the toolbar is hidden: If the toolbar is hidden, you will need to unhide it before you can access the merge cell option. To do this, go to the View tab and click on the Toolbars dropdown menu. Select the toolbar you want to show.
  5. Check if the merge cell option is disabled in the ribbon: If the merge cell option is disabled in the ribbon, you will need to customize the ribbon to enable it. To do this, right-click on the ribbon and select Customize the Ribbon. In the Excel Options dialog box, select the Home tab and click on the New Group button. Rename the new group to "Merge Cells" and select the Merge & Center option from the list. Click OK to save the changes.

By following these steps, you should be able to enable the merge cell option and other toolbars in Excel. If you still encounter any issues, feel free to ask for further assistance.
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster

Default merge cell is disabled

You will go to ToolsShare Workbook and unshare it.

This will automatically save the workbook in the unshared mode.

Many features will now be available, the worst of which is "merge cells".

These cause many problems in worksheets and should be avoided.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 20 May 2009 10:54:01 -0700, Fesco
wrote:

how will I enable merge cell and other toolbars. the file was shared and
tried to save as and make another name but still can't make it unshared.

What will I do? Please help