Craig Fletcher

Default Formula question

Hello,

I'm kind of an Excel moron... so I need some help please.

OK, we have a spreadsheet with 4worksheets within it where the "master
worksheet" an inventory of all of our businesses' offices, number of
employees, and other information... then the other three worksheets are for
each of our companies' three regions.

So, what I want to try to accomplish is when we add data to any of the three
regional worksheets, it will auto update the master worksheet based on
keyword matches from column B.

Let me explain that a little better:

So, in the master worksheet... column B might look like this (and on down
through about 70 values):

Akron, OH
Albany, NY
Allentown, PA
Atlanta, GA
Augusta, GA

Now in the regional worksheets, Column B will also have the same values, but
maybe column C has numerical values (like # of employees)... so in this
regional worksheet, I need to have a formula whereby if I add or change a
number, it will update the correlating value in row C in the master.
However, I don't wnat to lock this down to columns or rows, but rather do
the match when the office name value (Cited above) is a match.. because the
rows and columns will always be subject to change as we add and subtract
offices over time.

Gee, I hope that makes sense, it's a little tricky to explain in text.

Thanks,
Craig

Barb Reinhardt

1) On worksheets 2-4, is there more than one observation for each location,
or is there just one?
2) Give us a specific example of ONE THING you want to summarize from
worksheet 2. Some specific data, where the data is located and where you
want the result to reside. It's probably easier to do things stepwise in
this case.

"Craig Fletcher" wrote in message
[...]

Craig Fletcher

There will only be one observation for each location in worksheets 2-4

Examples would be "# of employees" in column C, and "projected growth 2006"
in column D. So say worksheet 2 is called "Southeast" and value B4 says
"Atlanta", then value C4 says "210" (# of employees) and value D4 says "235"
(projected growth 2006)... so I want worksheet 1 to auto-update in the
values "to the right of" (the two cells to the right, so the column C and D
values) the cell that says "Atlanta" as well if we updated the correlating
value in worksheet 2 that is to the "right of" Atlanta.

I hope this is comprehendible!

Craig