Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can I change a column of calculated numbers to absolute numbers?

I want to create a summary report from a one year detail report. I have 12
months of data, but I want to total it, sort by the totaled number and get
rid of the detail data. How can I make my sums, or move my column of sums
into a column of absolute number so I can delete the detail, sort by the
remaining totals, to clean up the report?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

1) add your new column with the sum in it
2) copy it
3) edit paste special values
4) now the values are fixed you can delete the detail and move on

--
Allllen

"Kate Bissell" wrote:

I want to create a summary report from a one year detail report. I have 12
months of data, but I want to total it, sort by the totaled number and get
rid of the detail data. How can I make my sums, or move my column of sums
into a column of absolute number so I can delete the detail, sort by the
remaining totals, to clean up the report?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Kate, you can copy the data and paste special values to change the formulas
to values
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Kate Bissell" <Kate wrote in message
I want to create a summary report from a one year detail report. I have 12
months of data, but I want to total it, sort by the totaled number and get
rid of the detail data. How can I make my sums, or move my column of sums
into a column of absolute number so I can delete the detail, sort by the
remaining totals, to clean up the report?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My preference would be to use the data as the source for a pivot table
(depending on the structure of the data). When you say that you have 12
months worth of data, I assume that you have dates associted with that? If so
then in the pivot table you can group on the data field and select Month to
aggreate the amounts by month... If you need help with the pivot table just
ask...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson