Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default excel spreadsheets open slowly

I am running Office 2000 on Windows XP Pro. When I click to open an existing
Excel spreadsheet, Excel launches right up and the spread opens right up. If
I then go to open a second existing spreadsheet, the hourglass just sits
there on top of the first page for about 30 seconds before the 2nd (or 3rd,
or 4th, any one after the 1st) opens. These are not huge spreadsheets. I
disabled real time scanning in Symantec AV, but it still happens. The
spreadsheets are on a server, but all other files I open from the server open
right up the way they should (Word files, graphics files). Any ideas on
this? Dell says it's a Symantec or Microsoft problem, Microsoft says Dell or
Symantec, Symantec says "not us!"
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How much RAM do you have? What's your processor speed? What's the size of
the XL files you're trying to open? What's the network connection speed
between your PC and your server? How many other applications and documents
do you have open when you're trying to open these Excel spreadsheets?

The answer to any of these questions could point you in the right direction.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.