Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Data Validation, drop list question

I'm creating a sheet for a hospital to keep track of the different types of
patients they have in the spinal chord clinic. The drop list includes four
options to choose from. What I need to do is get the worksheet to keept
track of how many times each option is selected and show that number in
another cell below. Can anyone help on how to do this? The drop lists are
already created.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You should be able to use the Countif() function.

Assuming the drop downs are in a single column, enter the 4 options in a
list, and then refer to those 4 list cells in the countif formula to get
totals of the 4 options.

Say the drop downs are in C5 to C100.
Say you create the options list in C105 to C108.

In D105 enter this formula:

=Countif(C$5:C$100,C5)

And copy down to C108.

Make sure the options list matches *exactly* with the drop down options.
--
HTH,

RD

"Jesse Blanchard" <Jesse wrote in