Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default excel 2003 file converted to .xlsm file when save to network drive

When one of my colleagues took a copy of an excel file and saved it to her
personal network drive, our system converted it to a .xlsm file. The thing
is we don't have excel 2007 and the file was created in 2003. Can anyone
explain why this would have happened?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I wonder whether your colleague has the file converter installed, and
inadvertently saved as a 2007 type.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Chris" wrote in message
When one of my colleagues took a copy of an excel file and saved it to her
personal network drive, our system converted it to a .xlsm file. The
thing
is we don't have excel 2007 and the file was created in 2003. Can anyone
explain why this would have happened?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default excel 2003 file converted to .xlsm file when save to network d

it look like we do have the converter installed as the option is there when
saving to save as this file type, but she just copied the file and pasted
into the folder.

strange

"Chris" wrote in message
When one of my colleagues took a copy of an excel file and saved it to her
personal network drive, our system converted it to a .xlsm file. The
thing
is we don't have excel 2007 and the file was created in 2003. Can anyone
explain why this would have happened?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Copying and pasting a file will not change its format or structure.
Inadvertently renaming the file (*.xls to *.xlsm) will also not change the
file itself, but it may make Windows and other apps think it's got the wrong
structure.

- Jon
-------