Diane109

Default Copy/paste/paste special is not available

When I right click on a cell in Excel, I do not get the copy/paste/paste
special options. They are grayed out and unavailable. How do I get it back?
Peo Sjoblom

Is it only the right click menu? can you copy and paste using the menu
editcopy etc?
Can you copy with Ctrl + C?

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Diane109" wrote:

When I right click on a cell in Excel, I do not get the copy/paste/paste
special options. They are grayed out and unavailable. How do I get it back?

Diane109

I can copy and paste from the menu and I can Ctrl/C but there is no Paste
Special item available under the Menu Edit in addition to it not being
available under the right click. Any help is most appreciated.

Thank you ~ Diane

"Diane109" wrote:

When I right click on a cell in Excel, I do not get the copy/paste/paste
special options. They are grayed out and unavailable. How do I get it back?

Dave Peterson

Sometimes developers like to take control of excel's look and feel and stop
users from doing stuff. And when things go wrong (or you just want to do
something the developer didn't think of), it won't work.

If you haven't customized your toolbars, you can reset them (all of them) by
deleting/renaming a file called *.xlb (name and location vary depending on
versions of windows and excel).

Use Windows|find (or Search) to look for *.xlb
(look for hidden files in hidden folders, too)

Rename all you find to *.xlbOld
(Only one is really used, but there could be some lingering out there depending
on your upgrade path.)

But you will have to rebuild any custom changes you've made to any of your
toolbars.

==
Option 2 (less drastic, but more work).

Tools|customize|toolbars tab
select worksheet menu bar and click reset
(You only lose the changes to that one toolbar)

Then for the right click menu problem:
alt-f11 (to get to the VBE where macros live)
ctrl-g (to see the immediate window)

application.CommandBars("cell").reset

heck you could do this one, too instead of the tools|customize stuff:
application.CommandBars("worksheet menu bar").reset

After you've done all this stuff (and added back your custom changes), close
excel and search for *.xlb once more.

Find the one you've just updated and copy it to a nice safe location.

Next time you have a problem with your toolbar, just close excel and copy this
saved version and paste into that folder containing the problem *.xlb file.

--

Dave Peterson