Jack

Default Entering numbers with variable decimal places.

I have scientif numeric data that is entered into cells on a monthly basis.
The data may change decimal places from month to month depending on what the
reported lab value is. For example a lab report may read 1.1 for a
particular month and then 1.22 for another month. Is there a way to enter
this data freely without having to reformat the decimal places in a range of
cells for these variations?
--
Thanks - Jack
JulieD

Hi Jack

when i open a new workbook and type 1.1 in A1, and 1.22 in B1 it displays it
as i enter it - same if i then change the 1.1 to 1.22 and vice versa - still
only get what i entered ... so i'm not sure what you're really asking? Do
you want the 1.1 to change to 1.10 or ?????

Note, the format of these cells is "general" not "number" - no need to play
with the format / cells option unless you want a specific number of decimal
places all the time.

Cheers
JulieD

"Jack" wrote in message
I have scientif numeric data that is entered into cells on a monthly basis.
The data may change decimal places from month to month depending on what
the
reported lab value is. For example a lab report may read 1.1 for a
particular month and then 1.22 for another month. Is there a way to enter
this data freely without having to reformat the decimal places in a range
of
cells for these variations?
--
Thanks - Jack

Jack

This problem is in an existing spreadsheet, so I assume I must have various
cells formatted to different deimal places. So the question now becomes, is
there a way to re-format the entire spreadsheet such that all numbers I enter
from this point on will be exactly as I enter them, witout having to go back
to the deimal place icon and adjust them.

Also, you mention below that the format of the cells is "general" and not
"number". If I use the general format, will there be a problem once I want
to use the data to plot graphs??

Thanks again,
Jack

"Jack" wrote in message
I have scientif numeric data that is entered into cells on a monthly basis.
The data may change decimal places from month to month depending on what
the
reported lab value is. For example a lab report may read 1.1 for a
particular month and then 1.22 for another month. Is there a way to enter
this data freely without having to reformat the decimal places in a range
of
cells for these variations?
--
Thanks - Jack

JulieD

Hi Jack

to "reset" all your cells - choose a blank cell (even from a new workbook)
and copy it, then select your whole spreadsheet and choose Edit / Paste
Special - Add

this should reset the format back to general for all cells. Note: i've
never encountered any problems doing this, but i would suggest you do it on
a copy of your files just in case anything goes wrong.

and again, i've not encountered any problems graphing cells formatted as
general - however, i've never done any really involved / advanced type
graphing.

Cheers
JulieD

"Jack" wrote in message
I have scientif numeric data that is entered into cells on a monthly
basis.
The data may change decimal places from month to month depending on
what
the
reported lab value is. For example a lab report may read 1.1 for a
particular month and then 1.22 for another month. Is there a way to
enter
this data freely without having to reformat the decimal places in a
range
of
cells for these variations?
--
Thanks - Jack

Kanneily

Hi Jack, I do book-keeping in excel and need text, figures and formulas and i
find the best way is this:-Open, highlight the colums that you want to type
your figures in mannualy, select Format, columns and text, you can have as
many decimal points as you like. Hope this has helped.
Kanneily

"Jack" wrote in message
I have scientif numeric data that is entered into cells on a monthly
basis.
The data may change decimal places from month to month depending on
what
the
reported lab value is. For example a lab report may read 1.1 for a
particular month and then 1.22 for another month. Is there a way to
enter
this data freely without having to reformat the decimal places in a
range
of
cells for these variations?
--
Thanks - Jack

JulieD

Hi Jack

i think going with "general" will suit your needs - the solution offered by
Kenneily is the situation you have at the moment.

Cheers
JulieD

"Jack" wrote in message
I have scientif numeric data that is entered into cells on a
monthly
basis.
The data may change decimal places from month to month depending
on
what
the
reported lab value is. For example a lab report may read 1.1 for
particular month and then 1.22 for another month. Is there a way
enter
this data freely without having to reformat the decimal places in
range
of
cells for these variations?
--
Thanks - Jack

Kanneily

Sorry Jack, a wee bit of misrepresentation through misunderstanding there!
Probably because you only asked about decimal places, i probably jumped in
with two feet because I use numbers, text, percentages, formula's and signs
eg 02/01, p/p, @5% and i dont have to auto sum the columns in text - it was
only a suggestion for decimal places, i just didn't think on the totalling up
- too late at night i suppose.
YES - go with julie's suggestion & my apologies to you too Julie, no harm
done i hope.
Good luck to both of you,
Kanneily

"Jack" wrote in message
I have scientif numeric data that is entered into cells on a monthly
basis.
The data may change decimal places from month to month depending on
what
the
reported lab value is. For example a lab report may read 1.1 for a
particular month and then 1.22 for another month. Is there a way to
enter
this data freely without having to reformat the decimal places in a
range
of
cells for these variations?
--
Thanks - Jack

JulieD

Hi Kanneily

no harm what so ever - it's good to have different perspectives on a
situation (one of the many benefits of this type of forum!).

Cheers
JulieD