Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do i get Excel not to drop my 1st zero (02360)

I have been trying to type in zip codes that begin with the number 0 in the
the 1st number. How do I get it to stay in there?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Format the cells as text

Regards,

OssieMac

"Yaesu Man" wrote:

I have been trying to type in zip codes that begin with the number 0 in the
the 1st number. How do I get it to stay in there?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Aug 10, 2:00 am, Yaesu Man <Yaesu
wrote:
I have been trying to type in zip codes that begin with the number 0 in the
the 1st number. How do I get it to stay in there?

I would go to format--cells--custom. In the rectangle below "type:"

enter 0##### - #### (do not put in the blank spaces--I am just
showiing it this way so you can read it) if you are using the full zip
code.

If you are using the 5-digit zip code, type 0#####

Then click okay. Format all cells like this that have a 5 digit zip
code or 9 digit zip code and not lose a digit if zero is the first
digit.

Steve G

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
apj apj is offline

Ihave tried formatting the column before I start typing my zip codes and that
works great, however I have a list typed up already highlighting then
changing it to text does not work... how do I format a list I have typed
already to show the 0.

"Yaesu Man" wrote:

I have been trying to type in zip codes that begin with the number 0 in the
the 1st number. How do I get it to stay in there?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

apj,

I maintain that zipodes are not numbers, because no calculations will be
done with them.

That said (phew),

format/cells/custom "00000" could work for you, except if you're using
both 5 and 9 digit zips. I'm sure there are other posts giving you a
good solution for both scenarios, like a column with:

=IF(A1 99999, TEXT(A1,"00000-0000"), TEXT(A1,"00000"))

Or something...

Beege

"Yaesu Man" wrote:

I have been trying to type in zip codes that begin with the number 0 in the
the 1st number. How do I get it to stay in there?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The same way you format cells prior to entering data.

Right click on the cell, choose Format Cells..., enter a format of 00000.
To copy this format quickly, right click on the fill handle, drag down,
release the mouse button, and choose Fill Formatting only.

Regards,
Fred.