Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Calculating a Data Range

To whom it may concern,

I have an age data range from H2:H1844, with ages ranging 23 thru 101. I
need to put them into categories such as 23-35, 36-45, 46-55, etc....

I need to count how many times 23,24,25...35 occurs for a single number so I
may graph the several age categories.

Than you in advance for any help you may have.
--
Thanks,
Andy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

Put your age intervals in 2 columns. Like this:

...........J..........K..........L
2......23........35...........
3......36........45...........
4......46.......55............

Then enter this formula in L2 and copy down:

=COUNTIF(H:H,"="&J2)-COUNTIF(H:H,""&K2)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Andy" wrote in message
To whom it may concern,

I have an age data range from H2:H1844, with ages ranging 23 thru 101. I
need to put them into categories such as 23-35, 36-45, 46-55, etc....

I need to count how many times 23,24,25...35 occurs for a single number so
may graph the several age categories.

Than you in advance for any help you may have.
--
Thanks,
Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jwt jwt is offline

While Biff's answer is the best one there is a slightly easier way.

If you have teh Data Analysis ToolPak loaded just choose the Histogram
function and point at your data and single column (or row) or ranges. Excel
will calculate teh table for you. It will even chart the answer if you want.

If you don't have the ToolPak loaded, click the office button, Excel Options
button, Add-Ins and in the "Manage" drop down at the bottom select Excel
Add-Ins and hit "Go". Choose the Analysis ToolPak and OK.