Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Toggle show / hide group outline symbols with shortcut

Excel 2007. I know you can turn the symbols on and off using Excel Options /
Advanced, but I could swear I have seen somewhere a shortcut key combination
to do this much more quickly. I've scoured local help and come up short.
Also can't find any reference to shortcut keys here on the forum. Anyone
know of such a shortcut, or did I just dream this up?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Toggle show / hide group outline symbols with shortcut

Yes, there is a shortcut key combination to toggle the display of group outline symbols in Excel 2007. Here are the steps to do it:
  1. Press the "Alt" key on your keyboard to activate the ribbon menu.
  2. Press the "H" key to activate the "Home" tab.
  3. Press the "O" key to activate the "Outline" dropdown menu.
  4. Press the "U" key to toggle the display of group outline symbols.

Alternatively, you can use the following shortcut key combination:
  1. Press the "Alt" key on your keyboard to activate the ribbon menu.
  2. Press the "J" key to activate the "View" tab.
  3. Press the "G" key to toggle the display of group outline symbols.

These shortcut key combinations should work in Excel 2007 and later versions.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select rows or columns, then:

<Shift <Alt <RightArrow
to display symbols.

<Shift <Alt <LeftArrow
to hide symbols.
--
HTH,

RD

"Ted M H" wrote in message
Excel 2007. I know you can turn the symbols on and off using Excel

Options /
Advanced, but I could swear I have seen somewhere a shortcut key

combination
to do this much more quickly. I've scoured local help and come up short.
Also can't find any reference to shortcut keys here on the forum. Anyone
know of such a shortcut, or did I just dream this up?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Ted,

Try:

CTRL+8

See also:

Excel shortcut and function keys

in Excel 2007 help'

---
Regards.
Norman

"Ted M H" wrote in message
Excel 2007. I know you can turn the symbols on and off using Excel
Options /
Advanced, but I could swear I have seen somewhere a shortcut key
combination
to do this much more quickly. I've scoured local help and come up short.
Also can't find any reference to shortcut keys here on the forum. Anyone
know of such a shortcut, or did I just dream this up?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

SORRY !

Those shortcuts were to create groups or dissolve groups.

The hide and display shortcut is:

<Ctrl <8
Where the "8" is *only* using the key under the function keys, *not* the key
in the Num keypad.
--
HTH,

RD

"Ragdyer" wrote in message
Select rows or columns, then:

<Shift <Alt <RightArrow
to display symbols.

<Shift <Alt <LeftArrow
to hide symbols.
--
HTH,

RD

-

-
"Ted M H" wrote in message
Excel 2007. I know you can turn the symbols on and off using Excel

Options /
Advanced, but I could swear I have seen somewhere a shortcut key

combination
to do this much more quickly. I've scoured local help and come up

short.
Also can't find any reference to shortcut keys here on the forum.

Anyone
know of such a shortcut, or did I just dream this up?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the response. I tried these key sequences out. It appears that
these actual create and remove the groups rather than just hiding and showing
the symbols. This is also helpful to me. Thanks.

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Select rows or columns, then:

<Shift <Alt <RightArrow
to display symbols.

<Shift <Alt <LeftArrow
to hide symbols.
--
HTH,

RD

"Ted M H" wrote in message
Excel 2007. I know you can turn the symbols on and off using Excel

Options /
Advanced, but I could swear I have seen somewhere a shortcut key

combination
to do this much more quickly. I've scoured local help and come up short.
Also can't find any reference to shortcut keys here on the forum. Anyone
know of such a shortcut, or did I just dream this up?

Junior Member

Wink

Hi, this is quite an old topic but faced with apparently hidden group outline symbols the CTRL+8 is a real life saver.

I appear to have hidden it by accident in Excel 2010 and had no idea why it seemed impossible to make any groups.
Very annoying and confusing. And a definite time wasting opportunity.

Also, why is there no ribbon or menu item for it.
Aah, I see ! I should have known to take a look at the advanced options, Show outline symbols if an outline is applied.
How foolish of me, I so dim...

Last edited by Bud's : August 15th 13 at 11:04 AM