Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default error message "Some chart types cannot be combined with other char

I am getting this error message "Some chart types cannot be combined with
other chart types. Select a different chart type"

with the same selection sometimes it goes smoothly, and sometimes i get this
message, and i am only trying to do a very basic column shart with the names
of the counties and the number of accidents for 5 years for each county

what am i doing wrong?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: error message "Some chart types cannot be combined with other char

This error message usually occurs when you are trying to combine two or more chart types that are not compatible with each other. For example, you cannot combine a column chart with a pie chart or a line chart with a scatter chart.

To resolve this issue, you need to make sure that you are selecting compatible chart types. In your case, since you are trying to create a basic column chart with the names of the counties and the number of accidents for 5 years for each county, you should select only the column chart type.

Here are the steps to create a basic column chart in Microsoft Excel:
  1. Select the data range that you want to include in the chart.
  2. Click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon.
  3. Click on the "Column" chart type in the "Charts" group.
  4. Select the specific column chart subtype that you want to use.
  5. The chart will be inserted into your worksheet.

If you are still experiencing issues, you may want to check if your data is formatted correctly. Make sure that your data is organized in columns or rows and that there are no blank cells or extra spaces. Also, ensure that the data is in a numerical format and not in text format.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

I have not heard of that warning happening sporadically. It only happens
when you try to combine charts that will not mix.
When you say it sometimes works is that when trying the same mixture on
the same chart or another chart that looks similar?

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default error message "Some chart types cannot be combined with other

I am also getting the same message. I am trying to create a scatter graph
using a) draft selection and b)what score they got. I have 9 tables created
1997-2005 with the same info in all of them. The graph creates 97-04 but when
i add 2005 to the information then the warning comes up. Why does it work
with 8 years of info but not with 9?

n_alexiou wrote:
I am getting this error message "Some chart types cannot be combined with
other chart types. Select a different chart type"

with the same selection sometimes it goes smoothly, and sometimes i get this
message, and i am only trying to do a very basic column shart with the names
of the counties and the number of accidents for 5 years for each county

what am i doing wrong?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

If you want to email me the file, off newsgroup, I will have a look at
what maybe causing this.

andy AT andypope DOT info

Cheers
Andy

n_alexiou wrote:

I am getting this error message "Some chart types cannot be combined with
other chart types. Select a different chart type"

with the same selection sometimes it goes smoothly, and sometimes i get this
message, and i am only trying to do a very basic column shart with the names
of the counties and the number of accidents for 5 years for each county

what am i doing wrong?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,
I also get the same message event with a simple data. This only happen with
excel 2007. I have try the same file with Excel 2003 and it OK.

n_alexiou wrote:

I am getting this error message "Some chart types cannot be combined with
other chart types. Select a different chart type"

with the same selection sometimes it goes smoothly, and sometimes i get this
message, and i am only trying to do a very basic column shart with the names
of the counties and the number of accidents for 5 years for each county

what am i doing wrong?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Excel 2007 is less flexible when combining different chart types. For
example, in Excel 2003 you could add a line or XY series to a stock
chart. Excel 2007 doesn't let you add any type to a stock chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.