marianthelibrarian

Default Displaying leading zeros in an Excel spreadsheet

How can I display leading zeros in an Excel spreadsheet? I am a librarian
trying to type in call #s (for example 001.245) and cannot get zeros to
display in front of other numbers. Clicking zero values at the View tab
under Tools - Options does not work for leading zeros.
JulieD

Hi

you have a couple of options -
1) if you're happy for the numbers to be treated as text then either
- type a ' in front of the number when you enter it; or
- before entering the numbers select the range and choose format / cells -
on the numbers tab choose text

2) if you want them to still be numbers then once you've entered the numbers
(or even before you've entered the) select the range, choose format / cells
on the numbers tab click custom and in the white line on the right type
000.000
click OK

Hope this helps
Cheers