Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sorting data in Excel

I have a document that has roadway info such as US 82 in cell (A:6) direction
of travel in cell (B:6) if I put information in cells (C:6) and (C:7) I want
to sort this data without repeating what was in (A:6)(B:6) for row 7 but I
would like that information in row 7 to stay with the "row heading the row
above". In other words I have rows of information that that I would like to
be "linked" to the preceeding row with out repeating the information. These
are roadway signs that have multiple information and when you type the main
information in a row that means it is a new sign.

--
Molli
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can't link multiple rows together without having a common ID in each
row.

You need the data from at least one column to be common.

i.e. US 82 in A6 and A7 will keep rows 6 and 7 together.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 14:51:01 -0800, Molli
wrote:

I have a document that has roadway info such as US 82 in cell (A:6) direction
of travel in cell (B:6) if I put information in cells (C:6) and (C:7) I want
to sort this data without repeating what was in (A:6)(B:6) for row 7 but I
would like that information in row 7 to stay with the "row heading the row
above". In other words I have rows of information that that I would like to
be "linked" to the preceeding row with out repeating the information. These
are roadway signs that have multiple information and when you type the main
information in a row that means it is a new sign.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

A side note - cells are referenced C1, B6, not C:1, B:6. Ranges are
referenced A1:A10 but the colon is between the cells not between the row and
column reference.

What can you do with your problem. Well you can repeat the labels all the
way down column A and then you can apply conditonal formatting to hide the
repeats from view:

1. Select all the cells in column A as far down as the data extends in the
other column.
2. Press F5, and choose Special, Blanks, OK
3. Type = then press the Up Arrow key once, then hold down the Ctrl key and
press Enter. This should fill in all the missing labels.
4. Select as in step 1 and choose Copy
5. Choose Edit, Paste Special, Values

1. Highlight the same cells as in step 1 (suppose for this step the first
cell is A2)
2. Choose Format, Conditional Formatting
3. From the first drop down pick Formula is
4. In the second box enter the formula
=A2=A1
5. Click the Format button and on the Font tab, under Color choose White
6. Click OK twice.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire