Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Option Buttons/Radio Buttons

Hi

I run Excel 2000

I have 2 option buttons in each row (total of 20 rows)

I would like the only one of the 2 buttons in each row are on or off.

The problem I am having is that it dosent matter which button on which row I
select, only that button is active. All the other buttons go blank.

I have tried changing the source for each pair of buttons but when I do all
the other button sources change as well.

How do i set up the buttons so that I can select one of the 2 in every row.?

Example

20 buttons in total - 10 buttons active and 10 buttons inactive

Thanks

John
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You have to group them by putting each set in a group box from the forms
toolbar.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"John Calder" wrote in message
Hi

I run Excel 2000

I have 2 option buttons in each row (total of 20 rows)

I would like the only one of the 2 buttons in each row are on or off.

The problem I am having is that it dosent matter which button on which row
select, only that button is active. All the other buttons go blank.

I have tried changing the source for each pair of buttons but when I do
all
the other button sources change as well.

How do i set up the buttons so that I can select one of the 2 in every
row.?

Example

20 buttons in total - 10 buttons active and 10 buttons inactive

Thanks

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks !

That has put me in the right direction. However I cant seem to re-format the
group box outline so that I cannot see it on the screen. I can re-format it
so that it does not print out but I would like the user not to be able see
the actual outline of the group box on the screen.

Thanks

John

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I don't know why MS didn't include the option to format the group box
borders!

You can hide then with some VBA:

Open the VBE editor: hit ALT F11
Goto ViewImmediate Window
At the end of the list of commands type:

ActiveSheet.GroupBoxes.Visible = FALSE

Hit ENTER

To reverse, follow the same steps but type:

ActiveSheet.GroupBoxes.Visible = TRUE

Hit ENTER

--

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

That works great !...thanks !

I only have one more problem then I am done ( I Think !)

I have approx 30 pairs of grouped buttons. They all work fine.

The problem occurs when I try to protect the sheet. Even if I set every
button format control to unlock the protection on it, after I apply the sheet
protection I get an error message telling me I cannot change the bottons as
the sheet is protected every time I select a button.

I even tried taking the protection off the cells that the buttons reside in,
but that didnt make any difference either.

I really need to protect the sheet as there are a number of formulas that
need protecting.

Any Idea what the problem is?

Thanks

John

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If you have those buttons linked back to a cell, then that cell will have to be
unlocked.

Maybe you could put all the linked cells in a single column and hide the column
to make it more difficult for users to screw with those values.

Or maybe you could put the linked cells on a different worksheet (and hide that
worksheet).

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Dave

Thanks for your response. The buttons were indeed linked to a cell and once
I unlocked them it solved the problem. I have followed your advice and hiden
the column with the linked cells.

Thanks to both of you for your help, it is much appreciated.

John