Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JP JP is offline

Default What is the Excel equivalent of the CELL function?

What is the Excel equivalent of the =CELL("filename",A1) function? The
Excel 2003 help screen for this function states:

"Remark

The CELL function is provided for compatibility with other spreadsheet
programs."

I need a cell to display the filename and path.

Thank you,

JP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That is it.

See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0002.html

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"JP" wrote in message
. ..
What is the Excel equivalent of the =CELL("filename",A1) function? The
Excel 2003 help screen for this function states:

"Remark

The CELL function is provided for compatibility with other spreadsheet
programs."

I need a cell to display the filename and path.

Thank you,

JP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JP JP is offline

Thank you, but what is the explanation for the Remark on the function's help
screen:
"Remark
The CELL function is provided for compatibility with other spreadsheet
programs"?
Normally this means there's another Excel-specific function, no?

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
That is it.

See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0002.html

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"JP" wrote in message
. ..
What is the Excel equivalent of the =CELL("filename",A1) function? The
Excel 2003 help screen for this function states:

"Remark

The CELL function is provided for compatibility with other spreadsheet
programs."

I need a cell to display the filename and path.

Thank you,

JP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you look at the =Cell() function in Excel's help, you'll see that the first
argument can be lots of things.

If I were designing a spreadsheet program from scratch, I'm not sure I'd ever
think about including:

=CELL("contents",A1)

But if I had to take in consideration lots of other spreadsheet programs (and
wanted to have those users become my customers), I'd make sure I'd include stuff
that didn't make obvious sense to me.

I'd do my best to make the transition as easy as possible.