Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to assign a formula to a letter?

At least I think that's what I need to do.

Our contractors' commission on parts is 40% if they purchased the part
themselves, and 30% if the office provided the part. The way it's set up now
is the tech types "y" if they purchased the part, and "n" if it came from the
office. So then we calculate their commission.

So what I think I need is to have a hidden formula I can refer to in the
cell that contains the $ amount of the part (hidden formula would be .40 for
y, .30 for n).

Is this possible? Or can you recommend another way to handle this?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Judy,

You can't have a constant, (ie the cost of the part), and aformula in a cell
at the same time. You could have - say "y" or "n" in B2, the cost of the
part in C2 and in D2 the formula:

=IF(B2="y",C2*0.3,IF(B2="n",C2*0.4,"Not specified"))

The "Not specified" part is for if there is no entry in B2. You could have
it defaulting to 0.4 with:

=IF(B2="y",C2*0.3,C2*0.4)

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Judy" wrote in message
At least I think that's what I need to do.

Our contractors' commission on parts is 40% if they purchased the part
themselves, and 30% if the office provided the part. The way it's set up
now
is the tech types "y" if they purchased the part, and "n" if it came from
the
office. So then we calculate their commission.

So what I think I need is to have a hidden formula I can refer to in the
cell that contains the $ amount of the part (hidden formula would be .40
for
y, .30 for n).

Is this possible? Or can you recommend another way to handle this?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you. That works!!! I danced around the office!

"Mike H" wrote:

Try,

=IF(A1="y",A2*0.4,IF(A1="n",A2*0.3,A2))

Mike

"Judy" wrote:

At least I think that's what I need to do.

Our contractors' commission on parts is 40% if they purchased the part
themselves, and 30% if the office provided the part. The way it's set up now
is the tech types "y" if they purchased the part, and "n" if it came from the
office. So then we calculate their commission.

So what I think I need is to have a hidden formula I can refer to in the
cell that contains the $ amount of the part (hidden formula would be .40 for
y, .30 for n).

Is this possible? Or can you recommend another way to handle this?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Another possible solution (there is no need to mark entries where office did
purchasing at all):
=A2*(0.3+(A1="y"))

Arvi Laanemets

"Mike H" wrote in message