Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How do I change text to proper when text is already in upper?

I am working on a big Data base. The names were put in Excel, it is in all
upper case. I need it in Proper. I tried to change it and I can't get it
right. If anyone can help it would be great. Thanks Kate I need a step by
step instructions
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max

"K" wrote:
.. The names were put in Excel, it is in all
upper case. I need it in Proper.
I tried to change it and I can't get it right.

I'm not sure what you tried ?

Anyway, we could try this on a spare copy
Assuming names are in col A, in A2 down

Put in say, B2: =TRIM(PROPER(A2))
Copy B2 down

If the results are okay, select col B and overwrite col A via:
Copy paste special Check "Values" OK
Then delete col B
--
Max
Singapore

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Roger Govier

Hi Kate

First, make a copy of your data - in case you make any mistakes.
Assuming your data is in column A, starting in A1
In B1 enter =PROPER(A1)
This will copy any text in A1 to B1 and show it in Proper case.
Copy the formula down the column as far as the data extends, by dragging
the formula down using the fill handle
( hover the mouse over the bottom right corner of the cell with the
formula, until in turns to a small solid black cross)

Once you have completed this task, copy the whole of the data in column
B.
Move your cursor to cell A1 and Paste SpecialValues back over the
original data in column A.
Column B can then be deleted.

Note.
You do not have to use column B for this task, any blank column on your
worksheet will do.
Repeat the procedure for other columns, if you have uppercase text in
them also.
--
Regards

Roger Govier