Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I convert 4'6" into decimals?

I am new and this is driving me crazy. I am doing a worksheet where I want
to convert feet and inches into decimal. Does that even make sense?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Because there are so many different ways that people enter ft' in" it would
be better if you could post a good representative sample of your data rather
than just a single example.

Biff

"Curious" wrote in message
I am new and this is driving me crazy. I am doing a worksheet where I want
to convert feet and inches into decimal. Does that even make sense?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

for decimal feet use

=LEFT(A1,FIND("'",A1)-1)+MID(A1,FIND("'",A1)+1,LEN(A1)-1-FIND("'",A1))/12

and for inches use

=LEFT(A1,FIND("'",A1)-1)*12+MID(A1,FIND("'",A1)+1,LEN(A1)-1-FIND("'",A1))