Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
sixwest

Default If, then formula to capture data?

Hope I'm in the right forum...

What I'd ultimately try to do is to have a link between sheets but with
different data being propagated. Such as:

Sheet "A" is the schedule sheet with employee names listed. Let's say
Employee "1" is listed in cell A1 and I input 9:30 AM in cell B1 (i.e.,
Employee "1" scheduled for 9:30).

Sheet "B" is a list of the schedule times. If 9:30AM is in cell A4, is there
a way to automatically propagate "Employee 1" into B4 when "9:30 AM" is input
to B1 on Sheet "A"?

I suppose the formula I'm looking for is something like:
=if(sheet1!B1="Employee 1")="Employee 1"

Thanks (I think I'm moving into "Access" here)
--
6-West

--
6-West
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Toppers

Try this: enter in B1 on Sheet2 and copy down. It assumes a 1:1 relationship
between an employee and a time. If multiple employees can have the same time,
then it will not work.

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,Sheet1!B:B,0)),"",INDEX(Sheet1!$ A$1:$A$1000,MATCH(A1,Sheet1!B:B,0)))

HTH

"sixwest" wrote:

Hope I'm in the right forum...

What I'd ultimately try to do is to have a link between sheets but with
different data being propagated. Such as:

Sheet "A" is the schedule sheet with employee names listed. Let's say
Employee "1" is listed in cell A1 and I input 9:30 AM in cell B1 (i.e.,
Employee "1" scheduled for 9:30).

Sheet "B" is a list of the schedule times. If 9:30AM is in cell A4, is there
a way to automatically propagate "Employee 1" into B4 when "9:30 AM" is input
to B1 on Sheet "A"?

I suppose the formula I'm looking for is something like:
=if(sheet1!B1="Employee 1")="Employee 1"

Thanks (I think I'm moving into "Access" here)
--
6-West

--
6-West

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
sixwest

Thanks, the formula worked fine when I pasted it into a test sheet, but when
I tried it in my project and changed the cell references to match up, I
started to get errors. Any idea where I might be going wrong?

Thanks again
--
6-West