DavidA

Default Incorrect Links between cells

Excel 2000 SP2
We have a budget spreadsheet that links various worksheets within the same
workbook. Occasionally when a new budget is entered the links carry data into
the wrong summary worksheet cells and corrupt the total data. We have run
formula editing and can find no errors.
The only temporary fix is to run detect and repair. This is very frustrating
as this spreadsheet is used on a daily basis for new budget spreadsheets.
TIA
David
Bill Manville

DavidA wrote:
Occasionally when a new budget is entered the links carry data into
the wrong summary worksheet cells and corrupt the total data

To enable us to help you I think we will need more information.
What is the formula in the cell that gets the "wrong" data.
What is the data in the cells that are referenced by that formula.
Why are you expecting something different?

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

DavidA

The data appears in the wrong cell in the wrong worksheet but upon close
investigation can be traced to another cell on another worksheet within the
same workbook. There is no formula in the offending cell.
The cell then corrupts the total of the column it is falsely appearing in.

The originating cell for the erroneous data is usually an =sum() formula.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to describe!

"Bill Manville" wrote:

DavidA wrote:
Occasionally when a new budget is entered the links carry data into
the wrong summary worksheet cells and corrupt the total data

To enable us to help you I think we will need more information.
What is the formula in the cell that gets the "wrong" data.
What is the data in the cells that are referenced by that formula.
Why are you expecting something different?

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Bill Manville

DavidA wrote:
It is difficult to describe!

...and difficult to understand exactly what you mean.
Please could you give the detail.

What cell contains the incorrect data?
What appears in the formula bar when you select that cell?
What are the contents of the cells to which that formula refers?