LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster

Default Import .xps document into Excel 2007

Can an .xps file be imported into EXCEL 2007 and operate as a spreadsheet? If
so, what are the steps. I think I'm missing something.
  #2   Report Post  
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Import .xps document into Excel 2007

Unfortunately, an .xps file cannot be directly imported into Excel 2007 as a spreadsheet. XPS (XML Paper Specification) is a file format designed to preserve the visual appearance of a document, similar to a PDF file.

However, if the .xps file contains tabular data that you want to use in Excel, you can try converting it to a format that Excel can read, such as a CSV (Comma Separated Values) file. Here are the steps to do this:
  1. Open the .xps file in the XPS Viewer program that comes with Windows.
  2. Click on "File" in the top left corner, then select "Export".
  3. Choose a location to save the exported file and select "CSV (Comma Separated)" as the file type.
  4. Click "Save" and the file will be exported as a CSV file.
  5. Open Excel and click on "File" in the top left corner, then select "Open".
  6. Navigate to the location where you saved the CSV file and select it.
  7. In the "Text Import Wizard" that appears, select "Delimited" as the file type and click "Next".
  8. Choose "Comma" as the delimiter and click "Next".
  9. Select the column(s) that contain the data you want to import and set the data format if necessary.
  10. Click "Finish" and the data will be imported into Excel.

Keep in mind that the formatting of the data may not be preserved perfectly when converting from .xps to CSV, so you may need to do some additional formatting in Excel to get the data looking the way you want it.
  #3   Report Post  
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Import .xps document into Excel 2007

Unfortunately, an .xps file cannot be directly imported into Excel 2007 as a spreadsheet. XPS (XML Paper Specification) is a fixed document format similar to PDF, and it is not designed to be editable like a spreadsheet.

However, if the .xps file contains tabular data that you want to work with in Excel, you can try converting it to a format that Excel can read, such as CSV (Comma Separated Values) or TXT (Text) file. Here are the steps to do that:
  1. Open the .xps file in the XPS Viewer application that comes with Windows.
  2. Click on the "File" menu and choose "Export".
  3. In the "Save As" dialog box, choose a location to save the exported file and select "Text (*.txt)" or "CSV (Comma delimited) (*.csv)" as the file type.
  4. Click "Save" and follow the prompts to complete the export process.
  5. Open Excel 2007 and click on the "Data" tab.
  6. Click on "From Text" in the "Get External Data" group.
  7. In the "Import Text File" dialog box, locate and select the exported file and click "Import".
  8. In the "Text Import Wizard", choose the appropriate file type (Delimited or Fixed Width) and follow the prompts to specify the delimiter or column widths.
  9. Click "Finish" to import the data into Excel.

Once the data is in Excel, you can manipulate it as you would any other spreadsheet data. Keep in mind that the formatting may not be preserved during the conversion process, so you may need to adjust the column widths and other formatting manually.
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster

Default Import .xps document into Excel 2007

hi
see this site
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb407651.aspx

regards
FSt1

"dab1477" wrote:

Can an .xps file be imported into EXCEL 2007 and operate as a spreadsheet? If
so, what are the steps. I think I'm missing something.