Lori

Default Graph by Minute

I have a Excel 2000 spreadsheet were samples were taken randomly through the
day over several months. Some days only a couple samples, other days samples
were taken several times an hour, and there were a variety "samples" taken.

I completed pulling into Access, but that created more problems. As there
are some 20 "types" that are sampled.

Time Type 1 Type 2 Type 3
3/25/01 22:00 166
3/25/01 22:08 166
3/26/01 0:00 23 25
3/26/01 2:00 155 6
3/26/01 3:00 17 25
3/26/01 6:15 157 11
3/26/01 8:00 17 25
3/26/01 9:00 47
3/26/01 9:15 3 25
3/26/01 9:25 47
3/26/01 9:30 55 3 9
3/26/01 9:50 55
3/26/01 10:30 92 24
3/26/01 11:30 114

What I now need to do is create a graph that includes all the samples,
however when I format at the X axis, I only have options for Days, Months and
Years I'm not being allowed to choose by minute. Any help would be
appreciated.
John Mansfield

Lori,

One option would be to add an additional column between the "time" and
"type1" columns. The new column will become the X axis chart source. A
formula that converts time entries to text will be contained in the new
column.

For example, insert a new column between the "time" and "type1" columns.
Assuming your time entries are in column A, add this formula to the new
column which should now be column B:

=TEXT(A2,"mm/dd/yy h:mm")

Copy the formula down the range. Then reference your chart to the text
reference column B instead of the time reference column A. In other words,
the chart source should now cover columns B, C, D, and E. Column A, where
the real time entries reside, now become a reference column as opposed to a
charted column.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"Lori" wrote:

[...]

Tushar Mehta

The only practical solution would be to create a XY Scatter chart.

For any other kind of chart, you can use John Mansfield's solution but
each time sample will be spaced equidistant from its neighbors.

The only other solution would be to create the correct spacing by hand.
The required interval must accomodate all the time values you have. I
wouldn't be surprised if the only such interval is 1 minute. So, if
that is indeed the smallest acceptable interval, create:
3/25 22:00
3/25 22:01
3/25 22:02
3/25 22:03
....you get the idea.

Only those rows that correspond to real data would have data values in
the other columns.

Assuming your data set fits in the limit for the number of data points
in an XL series (16,536 I believe) use a 'category' type for the x-axis
and you will get what you want.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...
[...]

Jon Peltier

To anyone who's keeping score, the limits are 32,000 points in a series and 256,000
points in the entire chart. I wish I didn't know that.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services