prettytwin1

Default Template in Excel

I want to create a group sales agreement template in Excel like I can with
Word. I know it involves databases and workbooks. I just can't remember how
to do this. Please help. I have many agreements to type up.
gls858

prettytwin1 wrote:
I want to create a group sales agreement template in Excel like I can with
Word. I know it involves databases and workbooks. I just can't remember how
to do this. Please help. I have many agreements to type up.

The help files in Office are really pretty good now.

gls858

Right from the Excel help file:

Create a template

Decide which type of template you want:
Workbook template

Create a workbook that contains the sheets, default text
(such as page headers and column and row labels), formulas,
macros (macro: An action or a set of actions you can use to
automate tasks. Macros are recorded in the Visual Basic for
Applications programming language.), styles (style: A
combination of formatting characteristics, such as font,
font size, and indentation, that you name and store as a
set. When you apply a style, all of the formatting
instructions in that style are applied at one time.), and
other formatting you want in new workbooks based on the
template.

Worksheet template

Create a workbook that contains one worksheet. On the
worksheet, include the formatting, styles (style: A
combination of formatting characteristics, such as font,
font size, and indentation, that you name and store as a
set. When you apply a style, all of the formatting
instructions in that style are applied at one time.), text,
and other information you want to appear on all new sheets
of the same type.

To display a picture of the first page of a template in the
Preview box of the Templates dialog box (General
Templates..., New Workbook task pane), click Properties on
the File menu, click the Summary tab, and then select the
Save preview picture check box.
On the File menu, click Save As.
In the Save as type box, click Template.
In the Save in box, select the folder where you want to
store the template.
To create the default workbook template (default workbook
template: The Book.xlt template that you create to change
the default format of new workbooks. Excel uses the template
to create a blank workbook when you start Excel or create a
new workbook without specifying a template.) or default
worksheet template (default worksheet template: The
Sheet.xlt template that you create to change the default
format of new worksheets. Excel uses the template to create
a blank worksheet when you add a new worksheet to a
workbook.), select either the XLStart folder or the
alternate startup folder (alternate startup folder: A folder
in addition to the XLStart folder that contains workbooks or
other files that you want to be opened automatically when
you start Excel and templates that you want to be available
when you create new workbooks.). The XLStart folder is usually

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\XLStart

To create a custom workbook or worksheet template, select
the Templates folder, which is usually

C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates

Enter the name of the template in the File name box. Do one
of the following:
Workbook template

Type book to create the default workbook template.

To create a custom workbook template, type any valid file name.

Worksheet template

Type sheet to create a template for default worksheets.

To create a custom sheet template, type any valid file name.

Click Save, and then click Close on the File menu.