Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Richard Erlacher

Default how can I limit my chart

I wish to limit my chart to only the data I entered into the spreadsheet.
How can I suppress the use of the row numbers as the x-axis on a line chart?

I want the leftmost selected column to be my horizontal axis, relative to
which every other column is displayed. I also need to control the scale of
the vertical axis, but "help" doesn't help with that either.

How can I do this?

Richard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Tushar Mehta

If the first column contains text information, select any cell in the range
you want charted, then click the Chart Wizard button. XL should use the
first column as the x-axis values.

If it doesn't you have two choices. Either delete the header of the first
column, then follow the steps in the previous paragraph or in the 2nd step of
the chart wizard click the Series tab and then set the first column as the
Category (X) values.

Tushar Mehta
http://www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom business solutions leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach

"Richard Erlacher" wrote:

I wish to limit my chart to only the data I entered into the spreadsheet.
How can I suppress the use of the row numbers as the x-axis on a line chart?

I want the leftmost selected column to be my horizontal axis, relative to
which every other column is displayed. I also need to control the scale of
the vertical axis, but "help" doesn't help with that either.

How can I do this?

Richard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Richard Erlacher

Nope, these are all numbers. However, it's the row-numbers that are
currently appearing on the x-axis of my chart, and it's the first columnt in
my data set that I want used. I had the impression that if I select just
the columns I want presented in my chart, XL will use the leftmost as the
"default" x-axis.

The problem isn't that it's not using data I do want used, but, rather,
quite the opposite. Those line-numbers are meaningless on my chart and I
want the vaules in my first column used instead.

Regards,

Richard

"Richard Erlacher" wrote:

I wish to limit my chart to only the data I entered into the spreadsheet.
How can I suppress the use of the row numbers as the x-axis on a line
chart?

I want the leftmost selected column to be my horizontal axis, relative to
which every other column is displayed. I also need to control the scale
of
the vertical axis, but "help" doesn't help with that either.

How can I do this?

Richard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Do you want a line chart, or an XY chart? Is there any numerical
significance to the numbers? A line chart will plot them as labels in the
order they appear in the worksheet, uniformly spaced across the bottom of
the chart, without regard to the value of the numbers. An XY chart plots X
as a value vs. Y as a value. An XY chart will also automatically use the
first column for X values, while a line chart only does sometimes.

You also asked about scaling the Y axis. Double click on it, click on the
Scale tab, then enter values you prefer to the automatic values Excel
computes. Don't check the boxes in front of the numbers after you change
them (seems silly, but lots of people do this and wonder why their entries
are ignored).

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Richard Erlacher" wrote:

I wish to limit my chart to only the data I entered into the
spreadsheet.
How can I suppress the use of the row numbers as the x-axis on a line
chart?

I want the leftmost selected column to be my horizontal axis, relative
which every other column is displayed. I also need to control the scale
of
the vertical axis, but "help" doesn't help with that either.

How can I do this?

Richard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Tushar Mehta

I also took the time to give you two options on how to handle the case where
the first column contains numbers. You may want to go back and look at my
post again.

"Richard Erlacher" wrote:

I wish to limit my chart to only the data I entered into the spreadsheet.
How can I suppress the use of the row numbers as the x-axis on a line
chart?

I want the leftmost selected column to be my horizontal axis, relative to
which every other column is displayed. I also need to control the scale
of
the vertical axis, but "help" doesn't help with that either.

How can I do this?

Richard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Richard Erlacher

Jon,

This is supposed to be a line chart. I have several lines I want to have
appear, the leftmost of which is intended to be the X-axis. Unfortunately,
instead of this, XL is using the row numbers on the left margin of the page,
which is not helpful. It works as well, I guess as an XY chart. That way I
get what I want to show.

Thanks for the help.

regards,

Richard

"Richard Erlacher" wrote:

I wish to limit my chart to only the data I entered into the
spreadsheet.
How can I suppress the use of the row numbers as the x-axis on a line
chart?

I want the leftmost selected column to be my horizontal axis, relative
which every other column is displayed. I also need to control the
scale of
the vertical axis, but "help" doesn't help with that either.

How can I do this?

Richard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Richard Erlacher

While I appreciate what you told me, Tushar, I didn't understand it well
enough to use it. The data is all numeric. I've got a few more of these to
do, so I'll give your method a try as well just so I know what it is and how
it works.

"Richard Erlacher" wrote:

I wish to limit my chart to only the data I entered into the
spreadsheet.
How can I suppress the use of the row numbers as the x-axis on a line
chart?

I want the leftmost selected column to be my horizontal axis, relative
which every other column is displayed. I also need to control the
scale
of
the vertical axis, but "help" doesn't help with that either.

How can I do this?

Richard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Keep in mind that a Line chart in Excel does not mean that the points are
connected by a line. Markers and lines are artifacts of formatting in Line
and XY charts. Line charts are distinguished by XY charts by their very
different X axis behavior, which I described above.

In 99% of cases, if the X data is numeric, the user should use an XY chart.
Notice that you can connect the points in an XY chart with a line the same
as in a Line chart. But the axis treats the X data as actual numerical data,
not merely slots in a row (your numbers might as well be row numbers for all
the numerical values mean to the Line chart).

More explanation:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...ValueAxis.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______