Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How can I create slanted headers?

Hello,
At work today I was asked to create a spread sheet with products and
they want the colums on the top to say the name of the product in a
slanted lined format. I am not sure what this is called and I am not
sure how to explain it with out showing what I mean.

But instead if striaght up and down lines on the top the need to be
slanted on an angel when you type the text in the texts types straight
accrossed but when you are done typing it goies up on that angle in the
lines. I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to do
this. I have a few books on excel yet I can not find the answer.

Any help would be wonderful.:)

--
photo_angel2004
photo_angel2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

photo_angel2004 Wrote:
Hello,
At work today I was asked to create a spread sheet with products and
they want the colums on the top to say the name of the product in a
slanted lined format. I am not sure what this is called and I am not
sure how to explain it with out showing what I mean.

But instead if striaght up and down lines on the top the need to be
slanted on an angel when you type the text in the texts types straight
accrossed but when you are done typing it goies up on that angle in the
lines. I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to do
this. I have a few books on excel yet I can not find the answer.

Any help would be wonderful.:)Hi photo,

See if this helps.

Desert Piranha

Desert Piranha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28934
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=569292

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

yes that is a big help thank you very much.

I was looking at this book a week ago but I wasnt sure if it would have
what I was looking for I already have the step by step microsoft office
system and the step by step excel but that info isnt in those books.

I just may have to buy this one:

This article is excerpted from Microsoft Office Excel 2003 Inside Out
by Craig Stinson and Mark

Thank you again!

:)

--
photo_angel2004
photo_angel2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37213
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=569292

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi!

Select the cell(s) in question.
Goto the menu FormatCellsAlignment tab
On the right side you'll see Orientation
Either "grab" the dial with your mouse and drag to the desired angle or use
the spinner buttons.

Biff

"photo_angel2004"
<photo_angel2004.2c7bf8_1155006914.7723@excelfor um-nospam.com wrote in
message news:photo_angel2004.2c7bf8_1155006914.7723@excelf orum-nospam.com...

Hello,
At work today I was asked to create a spread sheet with products and
they want the colums on the top to say the name of the product in a
slanted lined format. I am not sure what this is called and I am not
sure how to explain it with out showing what I mean.

But instead if striaght up and down lines on the top the need to be
slanted on an angel when you type the text in the texts types straight
accrossed but when you are done typing it goies up on that angle in the
lines. I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to do
this. I have a few books on excel yet I can not find the answer.

Any help would be wonderful.:)

--
photo_angel2004
photo_angel2004's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=569292

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Ok now I can get the line but I cant get the text to go with them the
text is all over the place.

--
photo_angel2004
photo_angel2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37213
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=569292

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

photo_angel2004 Wrote:
Ok now I can get the line but I cant get the text to go with them the
text is all over the place. Hi Photo,

That isn't very informative.

Just do what Biff said or read the link and apply a border to the
cells.

--
Desert Piranha

Desert Piranha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28934
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=569292

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

thats not working here though I can get the slanted lines.... that part
is good.

I can not get the text to match it though.

The text needs to be centered and the text is all over the place or
slanted but not centered in the lines and doesnt match the lines. I am
lost.

Thanks

--
photo_angel2004
photo_angel2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37213
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=569292

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

photo_angel2004 Wrote:
thats not working here though I can get the slanted lines.... that part
is good.

I can not get the text to match it though.

The text needs to be centered and the text is all over the place or
slanted but not centered in the lines and doesnt match the lines. I am
lost.

ThanksHi photo,

Maybe your row height needs to be adjusted.

--
Desert Piranha

Desert Piranha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28934
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=569292

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

no that is not working if I ajust the size of the cells the text gets
worse not better.

I dont know how to explaine this without a screen shot.

On the top of each colum I need the header lines to be slanted.... that
part I can get. I can not get the text to match it though. the text is
either right on the line to the left or the text is all over the place
I can not get it centered inbtween the Slanted lines, it seems to
center from the center of the cell and not inbtween the slanted lines.
There are a lot of settings I have tried them all and moved the cells
longer and shorted only for the text to appear worse.

I just can not seem to get it to look like the one in the picture of
that link in the first reply.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

What I am shooting for is the Middle pic on this link:

photo_angel2004
photo_angel2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37213
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=569292

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

photo_angel2004 Wrote:
no that is not working if I ajust the size of the cells the text gets
worse not better.

I dont know how to explaine this without a screen shot.

On the top of each colum I need the header lines to be slanted.... that
part I can get. I can not get the text to match it though. the text is
either right on the line to the left or the text is all over the place
I can not get it centered inbtween the Slanted lines, it seems to
center from the center of the cell and not inbtween the slanted lines.
There are a lot of settings I have tried them all and moved the cells
longer and shorted only for the text to appear worse.

I just can not seem to get it to look like the one in the picture of
that link in the first reply.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

What I am shooting for is the Middle pic on this link:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...7991033.aspxHi photo,

Ok so you have the borders correct right?

The text format you don't have any wrap or something like that do you?

Try again.
Select the cells you are using then;
Go to FormatAlignment

Horizontal should be Center
Vertical should be Center
The angle should be pointing up (not down) at about 45 degrees
No Wrap,Merge, Or Shrink should be ticked.

How does that work?

--
Desert Piranha

Desert Piranha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28934
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=569292

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Ok now I got the text to go the right way but as soon as I am done
typing the boarder lines dissapear and dont come back. I just cant win
with this.

I either get the lines or the text not both this can not be that hard
to do.

yet for the past 3 hours I cant figure it out. Is there any way to post
a screen shot? This is next to impossible to explain.:)

--
photo_angel2004
photo_angel2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37213
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=569292

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

photo_angel2004 Wrote:
Ok now I got the text to go the right way but as soon as I am done
typing the boarder lines dissapear and dont come back. I just cant win
with this.

I either get the lines or the text not both this can not be that hard
to do.

yet for the past 3 hours I cant figure it out. Is there any way to post
a screen shot? This is next to impossible to explain.:)Can you send me a sample and short explanation of what you want to see?

TAKETHISOUT of my email address and of course put a . for DOT

PiranhaTAKETHISOUT488@aolDOTcom

--
Desert Piranha

Desert Piranha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28934
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=569292

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I got it to work thank you, my last question is now that I have my
colums with my slanted lines and the text right thank god. LOL

Is there a way to format this document for all pages to have that same
header on the top.

What I mean is each colum header is a product.
now the list that will go in rows benieth them is long.... 12 pages
long.

They need the top headers with the slants to be on the top of each page
so its easy to read without having to go back to the first page to see
the products. ??

:)

--
photo_angel2004
photo_angel2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37213
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=569292

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

photo_angel2004 Wrote:
I got it to work thank you, my last question is now that I have my
colums with my slanted lines and the text right thank god. LOL

Is there a way to format this document for all pages to have that same
header on the top.

What I mean is each colum header is a product.
now the list that will go in rows benieth them is long.... 12 pages
long.

They need the top headers with the slants to be on the top of each page
so its easy to read without having to go back to the first page to see
the products. ??

:)Well, That would have been something to know ahead of time. :)

If you right click on the sheet tab at the bottom.

Then select "Select all sheets"

This will select all the sheets and the tabs will kinda turn white.

Then what ever you do to the first sheet will also happen on the other
sheets.

Or you can hold down "ctr" and then select the sheets you want, if you
don't want all of them selected.

Click on a tab to UNSELECT when you are through, or every thing else
you do will go to those sheets also.

Or you could select the rows you have done, then copy and go to the
other sheets and paste.

Or if you just want the format with out the text you could select the
cells you have done, then Double Click the format painter. Then go to
the other sheets and click in the cell where you want the format

--
Desert Piranha

Desert Piranha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28934
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=569292

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

thank you so much that helps a lot. :)

--
photo_angel2004
photo_angel2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37213
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=569292

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

photo_angel2004 Wrote:
thank you so much that helps a lot. :)Hi photo,

Very glad you got it working. Sorry it took so long.