Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Paula1

Default how to turn positive to negative values in excel

I have a list of values which are positive or negative depending on a D or C
value in the cell next to them. I need to turn the D values to negatives in
order to sum the data
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar

Are your values manually entered, or results of a formula? If manually
entered, then you'll probably need to insert a new column and then use this
formula:

For this example, I'm assuming Column A holds D or C info, and Column B
holds your values. This formula would then be entered in Column C.

=IF(A1="D",-B1,B1)

But if your values are the results of a formula, then you could most likely
incorporate the above logic into the existing formula to avoid using an
additional column.

HTH,
Elkar

"Paula1" wrote:

I have a list of values which are positive or negative depending on a D or C
value in the cell next to them. I need to turn the D values to negatives in
order to sum the data

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

How about summing them without changing anything

=SUM(IF(B1:B10="D",-A1:A10,A1:A10))

which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
just Enter.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Paula1" wrote in message
I have a list of values which are positive or negative depending on a D or

value in the cell next to them. I need to turn the D values to negatives

in
order to sum the data

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
daddylonglegs

or even

=SUMIF(B1:B10,"C",A1:A10)-SUMIF(B1:B10,"D",A1:A10)

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions