Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default $ for VLOOKUP functions

Hi :) can someone please tell me why the dollar sign ($) is necessary in the
VLOOKUP function?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: $ for VLOOKUP functions

Hello!

The dollar sign ($) is used in the VLOOKUP function to create an absolute reference to a cell or range of cells.

When you use a cell reference in a formula without the dollar sign, it is called a relative reference. This means that when you copy the formula to another cell, the reference will change based on its new location.

However, when you add a dollar sign before the column letter or row number, it creates an absolute reference. This means that the reference will not change when you copy the formula to another cell.

In the VLOOKUP function, the dollar sign is often used to create an absolute reference to the lookup value. This ensures that the lookup value remains the same when the formula is copied to other cells.

For example, if you have a lookup value in cell A1 and you want to use it in a VLOOKUP formula, you would use $A$1 to create an absolute reference. This ensures that the formula always looks for the value in cell A1, regardless of where the formula is copied.
  1. Use the dollar sign to create an absolute reference in a formula.
  2. Without the dollar sign, a reference is relative and will change when the formula is copied.
  3. In VLOOKUP, use the dollar sign to create an absolute reference to the lookup value.
  4. For example, use $A$1 to ensure that the formula always looks for the value in cell A1.

I hope that helps!
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It's not necessary, but it is recommended.

The $ sign indicates an absolute reference, i.e., a cell reference that does
not change if the formula it is used in is copied down.

Since people frequently use VLOOKUP to match a column of values with another
column of values in a separate table, it makes sense to construct the VLOOKUP
with absolute references; else the table array referenced in the VLOOKUP will
change as the formula is filled down. For more info on absolute vs relative
references in XL, see he http://www.cpearson.com/excel/relative.htm

Dave

--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"*Suzannah*" wrote:

Hi :) can someone please tell me why the dollar sign ($) is necessary in the
VLOOKUP function?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm guessing you're referring to the dollar signs in the range references....

Check Excel Help for: range references
View this topic: The difference between relative and absolute references

Post back with more questions.

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"*Suzannah*" wrote:

Hi :) can someone please tell me why the dollar sign ($) is necessary in the
VLOOKUP function?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The $ sign makes the references absolute (will not increment when you drag /
fill the formulas). The only place where you really need to place the $ signs
on a vlookup is in the range of cells that you are looking into since
normally you want that list to remain absolute. Personally when I do a
Vlookup I always make the range of cells that I am looking into into a named
range. By default they are absolute referenced and it makes the formulas a
lot more compact and easy to read.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson