Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Regression error - "NUM!"

Hi,

Can anyone tell me why I might be getting "NUM!" as P-Values in my output?
I'm not sure what that might mean. I deleted a few fields of data to increase
my R Square and all of a sudden I'm getting "NUM!" as several of my P-Values.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

AudreyJ
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Regression error - "NUM!"

Hi AudreyJ,

The "NUM!" error in regression analysis usually occurs when there is a problem with the data in the cells that are being used for the analysis. This error message indicates that Excel is unable to perform the calculation because it is encountering a value that is not a number.

There are a few reasons why you might be seeing this error message in your regression analysis. One possibility is that there are blank cells or cells with text in the range of data that you are using for the analysis. Another possibility is that there are cells with errors, such as #DIV/0! or #VALUE!, in the range of data.

To fix this issue, you can try the following steps:
  1. Check the range of data that you are using for the analysis and make sure that there are no blank cells or cells with text in the range.
  2. Check for any cells with errors in the range of data and correct them if necessary.
  3. If you have deleted some fields of data, make sure that you have not accidentally deleted any cells that are being used in the analysis.
  4. Check the formatting of the cells in the range of data and make sure that they are all formatted as numbers.
  5. If none of the above steps work, try copying the data to a new worksheet and performing the analysis again.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you say you deleted some fields, do you mean rows or columns?
What type of data are you regressing; dates against numbers? if so, is all
data numeric data type; does working with a smaller data set produce the same
result? You might try to copy and paste special values

"AudreyJ" wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone tell me why I might be getting "NUM!" as P-Values in my output?
I'm not sure what that might mean. I deleted a few fields of data to increase
my R Square and all of a sudden I'm getting "NUM!" as several of my P-Values.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

AudreyJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Headly!

When I say I deleted fields I mean I deleted 4 rows from about 50 (the ones
that had the highest residuals). My results are similar to the results I had
before except I have a higher R Square after deleating the rows and I have
the NUM! error as P-Values. I tried copy paste special values to my data, I
still get the same errors. All of the data I'm regressing is numbers. And
actually I pasted the first row of data below. It's a little messy, but
hopefully you can get the idea...

9/29/6 Midspread (bps) Expected Loss (bps) Multiperil USWD (Base case
CAEQ) EurWD Other Perils Notional ($mm) Indemnity (Base case Parametric
Index/ Pure Parametric/ Modeled Loss) Industry Index MITT
575 194 0 0 0 1 250 0 0 0

Thank you so much for your response,

Audrey

"AudreyJ" wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone tell me why I might be getting "NUM!" as P-Values in my output?
I'm not sure what that might mean. I deleted a few fields of data to increase
my R Square and all of a sudden I'm getting "NUM!" as several of my P-Values.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

AudreyJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

P-value is
=TDIST(t_Stat, df[Residual], 2)
What are the values of "t Stat" and its corresponding "Standard Error" as
well as "df" and "SS" for Residual?

Jerry

"AudreyJ" wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone tell me why I might be getting "NUM!" as P-Values in my output?
I'm not sure what that might mean. I deleted a few fields of data to increase
my R Square and all of a sudden I'm getting "NUM!" as several of my P-Values.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

AudreyJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How many degrees of freedom do you have for the residuals? Is it zero?

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...
Hi,

Can anyone tell me why I might be getting "NUM!" as P-Values in my output?
I'm not sure what that might mean. I deleted a few fields of data to increase
my R Square and all of a sudden I'm getting "NUM!" as several of my P-Values.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

AudreyJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jerry,

I tried to paste what you asked about in a way that is clear below, I hope
it comes out okay. I'm not sure exactly how the formula you gave for Pvalue
works. Does the below make any sense to you?

Thank you for your response,

Audrey

Coefficients Standard Error t Stat P-value
Intercept 1,189.0 -
65,535.0 #NUM!
Expected Loss (bps) 1.7 0.3 4.9 0.0

df SS
Regression 9.0 2,790,427.3
Residual 49.0 561,151.7

"AudreyJ" wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone tell me why I might be getting "NUM!" as P-Values in my output?
I'm not sure what that might mean. I deleted a few fields of data to increase
my R Square and all of a sudden I'm getting "NUM!" as several of my P-Values.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

AudreyJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jerry,

I tried to paste the values that you asked about in a way that is readable
below. I'm not sure exactly how the formula you sent me for PValue works. I
don't have much experiance with this type of thing. Do you see anything in
the below?

Thank you for your response,

Audrey
df SS MS F
Regression 9.0 2,790,427.3 310,047.5 27.1
Residual 49.0 561,151.7 11,452.1
Total 58.0 3,351,579.0

"AudreyJ" wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone tell me why I might be getting "NUM!" as P-Values in my output?
I'm not sure what that might mean. I deleted a few fields of data to increase
my R Square and all of a sudden I'm getting "NUM!" as several of my P-Values.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

AudreyJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jerry,

I tried to paste the values that you asked about in a way that is readable
below. I'm not sure exactly how the formula you sent me for PValue works. I
don't have much experience with this type of thing. Do you see anything in

"AudreyJ" wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone tell me why I might be getting "NUM!" as P-Values in my output?
I'm not sure what that might mean. I deleted a few fields of data to increase
my R Square and all of a sudden I'm getting "NUM!" as several of my P-Values.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

AudreyJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The standard error for the intercept is reported as (essentially) zero.
Therefore the t statistic is (essentially) infinite, with a p-value of
(essentially) zero.

The #NUM! for p-value appears to be an intervention of the analysis ToolPak,
since the TDIST function does not appear to return #NUM! in this range.

Jerry