Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Edit many cells at once to add a charater to existing data?

I have a column of data and I need to add an apostrophe to the beginning of
all the cells without changing the remaining content. How can I do this? I
know how to do this for individual cells, but I would like to do it to all
cells at once.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The easiest way is to write a formula in a new column. then copy the results
from the new column back to the old column and use PastSpecial with values
selected. the formula to use in the new column would be this.

="'" & A1 This is a double quote, then an apostrophe, and then another
double quote

Copy the formula down the column.

"ABTurner" wrote:

I have a column of data and I need to add an apostrophe to the beginning of
all the cells without changing the remaining content. How can I do this? I
know how to do this for individual cells, but I would like to do it to all
cells at once.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the cells and run this small macro:

Sub DontQuoteMe()
Dim q As String
q = Chr(39)
For Each r In Selection
r.Value = q & q & r.Value
Next
End Sub

Note you need to add the single quote twice to get it to appear in the cell
as well as the formula bar.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200838