higgs

Default Excel keeps wrapping cells with text incl. alt/enter

I have a cell with multiple lines (alt/enter line breaks)
in a standard row where word wrapping is disabled.
So I see only the first line and that's how I want it.

Now, when I edit this cell the word wrapping gets
automatically enabled (checked box) and row height
gets adjusted to fit the text.

It seems alt/enter breaks auto enable the wrapping,
but what I need visible is a clean one line row no matter
what text I put in.

Any solution/workaround? I'm on excel2000.
thanks
--
Peter

--
higgs
higgs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25994

CyberTaz

Hi Peter-

What you are seeing is basically true. When you use the Alt+Enter you _are_
turning on text wrapping in the cell. By default the row height will
automatically adjust, but it is easy enough to control... Go to
FormatRowHeight and set it to the height you prefer (12.75 is the
default). You can also drag the Row separator to adjust it.

Once you 'set' the height, that row will not continue to adjust
automatically when you edit. The unmodified rows adjust automatically by
default in order to prevent accidentally hiding data from yourself.

BTW- Column width works the same way when you apply Number formatting. If
the width can't display the formatted value in full the width will be
automatically adjusted _unless_ it has already been manually changed.

HTH |:)

On 8/6/05 10:21 AM, in article
, "higgs"
wrote:

I have a cell with multiple lines (alt/enter line breaks)
in a standard row where word wrapping is disabled.
So I see only the first line and that's how I want it.

Now, when I edit this cell the word wrapping gets
automatically enabled (checked box) and row height
gets adjusted to fit the text.

It seems alt/enter breaks auto enable the wrapping,
but what I need visible is a clean one line row no matter
what text I put in.

Any solution/workaround? I'm on excel2000.
thanks
--
Peter

higgs