Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default lookup to bring back multiple values

Hi,

I have a sheet with various names in column A with attributes in col B, the
names can occur more than once. a normal vlookup will only bring back the
first value in col B which i know. but i want to bring back all the different
result in column b for a name which occurs more than once.

I know this invloves Arrays, but the eg ive seen is set up in a way where
the name you are looking is on the first line, and amending it does not
really work for me.

Does anyone have any suggestion or a better example of how to do this?

hope ive made this clear!!!

Cheers
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

With your lookup name in E1 try this array formula. Put the formula in a
cell and drag down. When it starts producing #NUM errors then you have found
every occurrence of your lookup value

=INDEX($B$1:$B$1000,LARGE(($A$1:$A$1000=$E$1)*ROW( $A$1:$A$1000),COUNTIF($A$1:$A$1000,$E$1)+1-ROW(A1)))

This is an array formula which must be entered by pressing CTRL+Shift+Enter
'and not just Enter. If you do it correctly then Excel will put curly brackets
'around the formula {}. You can't type these yourself. If you edit the formula
'you must enter it again with CTRL+Shift+Enter.

Mike

"zakfalls" wrote:

Hi,

I have a sheet with various names in column A with attributes in col B, the
names can occur more than once. a normal vlookup will only bring back the
first value in col B which i know. but i want to bring back all the different
result in column b for a name which occurs more than once.

I know this invloves Arrays, but the eg ive seen is set up in a way where
the name you are looking is on the first line, and amending it does not
really work for me.

Does anyone have any suggestion or a better example of how to do this?

hope ive made this clear!!!

Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this...

Data in the range A2:B20

D1 = lookup name
E1 = formula to count how many records meet the condition

=COUNTIF(A2:A20,D1)

Array entered** in D2 and copied down until you get blanks:

=IF(ROWS(D$1:D1)<=E$1,INDEX(B$2:B$20,SMALL(IF(A$2: A$20=D$1,ROW(B$2:B$20)),ROWS(D$2:D2))-ROW(B$2)+1),"")

If your data is sorted so that the names are grouped together it's much
simpler.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP