Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I get a value instead of an error or txt in an Excel cell?

Is there a way to get a formula to return a value instead of an error
(#DIV/0, #N/A, etc...) so when I usr that cell in a chart I can get a value
at some where other than zero?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"wrap" your formula inside of an IF statement with a test to see if it
creates an error or not. Consider this

A B C
1 5 0 =A1/B1
will give you a #DIV/0 error

But if you do this at C1:
=IF(ISERROR(A1/B1),"invalid",A1/B1)
you would be shown 'invalid' in C1 but if B1 is a non-zero value then you'd
get the true answer. You can substitute a value for "invalid" such as zero
or one, like:
=IF(ISERROR(A1/B1),0,A1/B1)

The ISERROR() test will handle all errors, there are other options such as
ISERR() handles any error except #N/A
while ISNA() only handles #N/A - good for use with VLookup and Hlookup
operations.

"SkiRJB" wrote:

Is there a way to get a formula to return a value instead of an error
(#DIV/0, #N/A, etc...) so when I usr that cell in a chart I can get a value
at some where other than zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I get a value instead of an error or txt in an Excel ce

Got it, thanks. I just had to use a cell reference with the value I wanted
so the graph would show it crossing at the average I have set it at.

"SkiRJB" wrote:

Is there a way to get a formula to return a value instead of an error
(#DIV/0, #N/A, etc...) so when I usr that cell in a chart I can get a value
at some where other than zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Helped me too. Thanks.

I used the IF Statement to get rid of the Error and substituted a period.

Saved me a lot of time and headache. Literally.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Amy Amy is offline

I have a spreadsheet that i have entered a really long formula into. The
data I have now, in some parts, is empty (since I wanted to go ahead and set
up the formulas for future ease). However, since the fields are empty (I've
put dashes (-) in as place holders), I get the #VALUE! error. Is there
someway that I can do an If statement so that If I get the #VALUE! error, the
cell that contains the formula (and the error) will come up empty?

"SkiRJB" wrote:

Is there a way to get a formula to return a value instead of an error
(#DIV/0, #N/A, etc...) so when I usr that cell in a chart I can get a value
at some where other than zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do not place dashes in the cells. These dashes change the cell from blank to
non-blank.

Keep them empty/blank then you won't have to be concerned with them.

Why do you need place-holders?

What do they do?

A possible error trap would be =IF(cellref="-","",else whatever)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"SkiRJB" wrote:

Is there a way to get a formula to return a value instead of an error
(#DIV/0, #N/A, etc...) so when I usr that cell in a chart I can get a value
at some where other than zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Amy Amy is offline

I was using place holders because the spreadsheet is being used for external
reporting and I wanted to make it clear that they were intentionally blank.
When I left the cells completely empty, I was getting the #DIV/0 error for
having the formula refer to empty cells. So, the same initial question would
still apply since I would like to eliminate the unattractive error message
for the external reporting but I want to leave the formula there since it
will be used inn future terms.

Thanks

"SkiRJB" wrote:

Is there a way to get a formula to return a value instead of an error
(#DIV/0, #N/A, etc...) so when I usr that cell in a chart I can get a value
at some where other than zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

please also help me: i use this formula:

=SUM(IF(ISERROR(H449:H508),0,H449:H508))

and i believe that i have it right but it would just display a zero value
("0"). i tried to evaluate the function it would give me the right answer
but just don't display in the worksheet.

1 LFKNA Cosmetics - Liquid Foundation - Nude Amber 195.00 195.00
#N/A #N/A #N/A
#N/A #N/A #N/A
#N/A #N/A #N/A

GROSS AMOUNT Php- <<< not displaying the answer which is supposed to
be "195.00"

"SkiRJB" wrote:

Is there a way to get a formula to return a value instead of an error
(#DIV/0, #N/A, etc...) so when I usr that cell in a chart I can get a value
at some where other than zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=SUM(IF(ISERROR(H449:H508),0,H449:H508))

That is an array formula and needs to be entered using the key combination
of CTRL, SHIFT, ENTER, not just ENTER.

Try this non-array alternative (normally entered):

=SUMIF(H449:H508,"<1E100")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"SkiRJB" wrote:

Is there a way to get a formula to return a value instead of an error
(#DIV/0, #N/A, etc...) so when I usr that cell in a chart I can get a
value
at some where other than zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LHW LHW is offline

I understand how the ISERROR() function handles division by zero in your
example; =IF(ISERROR(A1/B1),0,A1/B1) converts the value in cell B1 to the
numeral 0. However, the problem I have encountered is that numbers are
downloaded as text with three trailing spaces. I have to manually remove
these trailing spaces to use these numbers in the calculation. This is a
time consuming task.

Is there a better way to automatically convert numbers stored as text to
numeric format? I suppose I could write a macro to automatically remove
three characters from the end of each item in a one-dimensional array (in my
case), but I've never written a macro in Excel 2007. Can the VALUE function
not be used to convert text to numbers? I have had no luck using it to do so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Lewis Williams

"SkiRJB" wrote:

Is there a way to get a formula to return a value instead of an error
(#DIV/0, #N/A, etc...) so when I usr that cell in a chart I can get a value
at some where other than zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's not a good way of handling DIV errors because it will hide other errors

It's better to use

=IF(B1=0,0,A1/B1)

You can install this macro, select the import and run the macro

Peo Sjoblom

"SkiRJB" wrote:

Is there a way to get a formula to return a value instead of an error
(#DIV/0, #N/A, etc...) so when I usr that cell in a chart I can get a
value
at some where other than zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can install this macro, select the import and run the macro

You forgot the macro!

Did you mean this one?

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"SkiRJB" wrote:

Is there a way to get a formula to return a value instead of an error
(#DIV/0, #N/A, etc...) so when I usr that cell in a chart I can get a
value
at some where other than zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks.

I seemed to have opened to reply to group windows and I pasted the link into
the one that I closed <g

Peo Sjoblom

"SkiRJB" wrote:

Is there a way to get a formula to return a value instead of an error
(#DIV/0, #N/A, etc...) so when I usr that cell in a chart I can get a
value
at some where other than zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

1. First let me simplify one of the formulas

=IF(B1,A1/B1,0)

2. If the cells really contain trailing spaces you can remove all of them
with a single command - highlight all the offending cells and press Ctrl+H,
enter three spaces in the Find what box and leave the Replace with box
empty. Then click Replace all. The cells will still be text most likely,
but they will not contain 3 trailing spaces.

3. You can use the VALUE function to convert text numbers followed by
trailing spaces to numbers =VALUE(A1) However, this might not work if the
trailing spaces were not really spacebar spaces. In which case you could
try =VALUE(TRIM(CLEAN(A1)))

4. However, maybe the following solution will be best:

Problem:
When numbers are enter as text they may not calculate within formulas as
they should. A few formulas will work fine despite the numbers being
entered as text. Numbers can be stored as text by 1. preformatting the cell
to Text and entering the number, 2. Typing an apostrophy in front of the
number '123, 3. Because the data was downloaded from a soure inwhich it was
stored as a text number, 4. Because you used the Text to Columns command and
converted it to text., and....

There is no sure indicator that a number is stored as text, although numbers
are usually right aligned and text left aligned, this may not be the case.
If you are using a later version of Excel, Error Checking green triangles
may appear at the top left corner of these cell, but this feature may be off
or the version of Excel may not support it. (2000 and earlier).

You can find out what data type the entries are by using the =ISTEXT(A1) or
=ISNUMBER(A1) functions. You can not tell by checking the Format. If a
number was entered in a cell preformatted as General or as a number, then it
will be a number, even if it's current format is Text. Likewise a number
entered in a cell preformatted as Text will be text even if it's current
format is Number, General, Date, Currency and the like.

Solution:
1. Change the format to one that is numeric and then reenter the numbers
(too slow and error prone.)
2. Select the cells and open the Error Checking options and choose Convert
to Numbers.
3. Select an empty cell and copy it. Select the text number cell and choose
Edit, Paste Special, Add (or Subtract). This method is ~100 times faster
than #2.

Dates are numbers, and if they are stored as text, you will not get an Error
Checking triangle, so method #3 is obligatory if there is a substantial
number of dates to convert.

If this information is helpful, please click the Yes button.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"SkiRJB" wrote:

Is there a way to get a formula to return a value instead of an
error
(#DIV/0, #N/A, etc...) so when I usr that cell in a chart I can get
value
at some where other than zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LHW LHW is offline

Thanks to both Peo Sjoblom and Biff ,

I finally figured out how to run the macro, and it works just fine.

Best wishes,

Lewis Williams

"SkiRJB" wrote:

Is there a way to get a formula to return a value instead of an error
(#DIV/0, #N/A, etc...) so when I usr that cell in a chart I can get a
value
at some where other than zero?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Why does this formula return a #value =SUM(IF(A3:A456=" S Texas",C3:C456))
The values in the a column are Words and c is amounts.

This formula works on a different location
{=SUM(IF(A3:A456="Houston",C3:C456))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have you confirmed the formula with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER not just ENTER so
that { } brackets auto appear around the formula?

Also, you can use this instead:

=SUMIF(A3:A456," S Texas",C3:C456)

and only use ENTER to confirm as normal.

--
NBVC

Where there is a will there are many ways.

NBVC's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=74
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=126531

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello,

I am sort of new to Excel 2007.

I am having trouble trying to get the "total" of multiplying currency with
quantity. I don't really understand the help box or the answers on the
message boards.

What I need is someone to show me an example, that way I can get this
taken care of.

In disparate need of help.
Rob