Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Can I fix a text box to a chart data point?

I have a daily weight chart. I need to add events text boxes on the chart. I
wish to fix the boxes to data points and have them track the points so when
new data is added, the text box follows the data point.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

If you have used an embedded shape to hold the text you will need to use VBA
to adjust the position when more data is added.
To have text move automatically you would need to use data label(s).

Cheers
Andy
--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Phil" wrote in message
I have a daily weight chart. I need to add events text boxes on the chart.
wish to fix the boxes to data points and have them track the points so
when
new data is added, the text box follows the data point.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Andy,
Thanks for your response, but I don't see any way to add a text label.
The options are for values only. What I need is a way to add a text box that
says somthing like "Bought new scale" and have that text box stay with a date
on the horizontal scale that changes as I add new weights daily.

"Phil" wrote in message
I have a daily weight chart. I need to add events text boxes on the chart.
wish to fix the boxes to data points and have them track the points so
when
new data is added, the text box follows the data point.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You can link data labels to cells.
Either of these two free addins will help with the task.

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

Cheers
Andy

--

"Phil" wrote in message
I have a daily weight chart. I need to add events text boxes on the
chart.
wish to fix the boxes to data points and have them track the points so
when
new data is added, the text box follows the data point.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If it's one or two labels, it's easy enough to do it by hand. Add a label to
a single point, then select the label (two clicks to select the single
label), then you can edit its text, or type = in the formula bar and click
on the cell with the value if you want a linked label.

Note that the label sticks to the point number it was assigned to. Say your
chart has ten points and you put the label on the fourth point. If you
change the data range so it starts after the first two original points and
extends two points beyond the original last point, so it's still ten points
long, the point your label was highlighting is now second, but the label is
still on the 4th point (which was the sixth point).

This is a pain, so I will often add a one-point XY series with the values I
want to track, format the point with no marker, and apply a label. This
series doesn't change if the original series is dynamic (the values may
change if the original values change, but it stays latched to the same pair
of cells).

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Phil" wrote in message
I have a daily weight chart. I need to add events text boxes on the
chart.
wish to fix the boxes to data points and have them track the points so
when
new data is added, the text box follows the data point.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Here is another alternative using an additional data series on the secondary
axis
http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng47.htm

Cheers
Andy