Al

Default Selecting shaded cells in a row

I want to exclude the values of cells that are shaded in a summation, e.g. I
have SUM(A9: Z9) = 1000, but I do not want cells F9, M9 and Y9, so I
highlight them in, say, green, then manually amend the appropriate cell
calculation to deduct these values.

Can Excel account for highlighting in this way?
Norman Jones

Hi Al,

See Bob Phillips ColourCounter page at:

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html

and see Chip Pearson's Functions for Working With Cell Colors at:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

---
Regards,
Norman

"Al" wrote in message
I want to exclude the values of cells that are shaded in a summation, e.g.
have SUM(A9: Z9) = 1000, but I do not want cells F9, M9 and Y9, so I
highlight them in, say, green, then manually amend the appropriate cell
calculation to deduct these values.

Can Excel account for highlighting in this way?

Harlan Grove

"Al" wrote...
Norman, I need to simplify the answer. These solutions (appear to) require
VBA programming, and mine is non-existant! mAny more suggestions please?

The only other suggestion would be to use a different spreadsheet program.
Excel provides *NO* built-in (worksheet function) means of determining cell
background or text color. If you need to do this, you *MUST* use VBA or
(much more cumbersome, infelxible and error-prone) XLM functions.

Norman Jones

Hi Al,

See David McRitchie's introduction notes at:

The notes include links to tutorials and other development sources.

---
Regards,
Norman

"Al" wrote in message
Thanks Harlan, looks like I'd better start learning VBA!! Any suggestions
where to start?

"Al" wrote...