Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default If a value is found return a true/false

I am wanting to take a customer list and have it return a true or false value
if the number is found on another list.

Specifics- I have a master spreadsheet of all my customers sorted by their
customer number.

I have another spreadsheet that lists only those customers that have made
purchases online.

I want my master customer list to say "Webstore User" if their customer
number is found on my list of webstore users.

I feel like this would be some combination of a lookup and an if then
statement, but can not figure out how to do it.

Thanks for any help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi lbeemer,

If your client name on the master sheet is in A2 and the corresponding entry in the web store sheet (here named 'Web Store') is
somewhere in the range A1:A10, you could use a formula like:
=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(A2,'Web Store'!A1:A10,0)),"","Web Store")
on the master sheet.

--
Cheers
macropod

"lbeemer" wrote in message ...
I am wanting to take a customer list and have it return a true or false value
if the number is found on another list.

Specifics- I have a master spreadsheet of all my customers sorted by their
customer number.

I have another spreadsheet that lists only those customers that have made
purchases online.

I want my master customer list to say "Webstore User" if their customer
number is found on my list of webstore users.

I feel like this would be some combination of a lookup and an if then
statement, but can not figure out how to do it.

Thanks for any help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

Master list on Sheet1, customer numbers in the range A1:An
Other list on Sheet2, customer numbers in the range A1:A100

Enter this formula on the Master sheet in cell B1:

=IF(COUNTIF(Sheet2!A$1:A$100,A1),"Webstore User","")

Copy down as needed

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"lbeemer" wrote in message
I am wanting to take a customer list and have it return a true or false
value
if the number is found on another list.

Specifics- I have a master spreadsheet of all my customers sorted by their
customer number.

I have another spreadsheet that lists only those customers that have made
purchases online.

I want my master customer list to say "Webstore User" if their customer
number is found on my list of webstore users.

I feel like this would be some combination of a lookup and an if then
statement, but can not figure out how to do it.

Thanks for any help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One way:

A1: Joe Smith
B1: =IF(COUNTIF(Sheet2!A:A, A1),"Webstore User","")

In article ,
lbeemer wrote:

I am wanting to take a customer list and have it return a true or false value
if the number is found on another list.

Specifics- I have a master spreadsheet of all my customers sorted by their
customer number.

I have another spreadsheet that lists only those customers that have made
purchases online.

I want my master customer list to say "Webstore User" if their customer
number is found on my list of webstore users.

I feel like this would be some combination of a lookup and an if then
statement, but can not figure out how to do it.

Thanks for any help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This will return True if the value in A1 is found in column A of sheet2:
=isnumber(match(a1,sheet2!a:a,0))

Or you could use:

=if(isnumber(match(a1,sheet2!a:a,0)),"Webstore User","not webstore user")

lbeemer wrote:

I am wanting to take a customer list and have it return a true or false value
if the number is found on another list.

Specifics- I have a master spreadsheet of all my customers sorted by their
customer number.

I have another spreadsheet that lists only those customers that have made
purchases online.

I want my master customer list to say "Webstore User" if their customer
number is found on my list of webstore users.

I feel like this would be some combination of a lookup and an if then
statement, but can not figure out how to do it.

Thanks for any help!!

--

Dave Peterson