Desperate Novice

Default How do I count If for these special distinctions

I need to count the number of names in a very long list
complaring excel columns that are titles name and date. I
would like the formula to count all DISTINCT names on EACH
given date giving me a grand total of names.
EXAMPLE

James Smith June 12, 2004
James Smith June 12, 2004
Mike Black June 12, 2004
Karen Jones June 13, 2004
Mike Black June 13, 2004
Jane Smith June 13, 2004

Total Count: 5

I appreciate the help.

Thank you.

RagDyer

I don't quite understand your explanation of where the date comes into the
picture, but this formula will count unique entries in Column A:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A300<"")/COUNTIF(A1:A300,A1:A300&""))
--

HTH,

RD

"Desperate Novice" wrote in message
I need to count the number of names in a very long list
complaring excel columns that are titles name and date. I
would like the formula to count all DISTINCT names on EACH
given date giving me a grand total of names.
EXAMPLE

James Smith June 12, 2004
James Smith June 12, 2004
Mike Black June 12, 2004
Karen Jones June 13, 2004
Mike Black June 13, 2004
Jane Smith June 13, 2004

Total Count: 5

I appreciate the help.

Thank you.

Gord Dibben

Check out Chip Pearson's formulas for counting unique items.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplic...CountingUnique

Gord Dibben Excel MVP