Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default search column of text cellto identify those cells with specific w

How do I search column of text cells to identify those cells with specific
words with in the text in those cells. For example if a cell contains:
This is from Enviroequip

THen I want to be able to seach all cells that contain the character string
Enviroequip.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ross

In a spare cell you could use the formula

=IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("Enviroequip",B1,1)),0,SEARCH(" Enviroequip",B1,1))

and copy down. This column will now show 0 if the formula does not match or
0 if it does. You can then sort or filter on that, etc.

You would maybe be better to enter your search string in a cell and
reference that for ease of changing, eg.

=IF(ISERROR(SEARCH($A$1,B1,1)),0,SEARCH($A$1,B1,1) )

--
HTH
Nick Hodge