Guy Guy is offline
Junior Member

Default Linked cells show wrong number

I have a problem with a large linked work book. In the following explanation, I refer to the workbook containing the link as the Master and the Workbook containing the information as the Source.

The problem is that in a number of cells, the number showing in the Master is completely different from that showing in the cell in the Source to which it is linked.

To explain: Assume the Master was linked to cell B12 in the Source spreadsheet. The value in cell B12 of the Source is 10, but the value shown in the Master might be 7.5.

I have checked the data options and automatic update is clicked to on. I can not think of any logocal explanation for this. Any ideas?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Linked cells show wrong number

It sounds like there may be a few different things going on here that could be causing the issue. Here are a few things to check:
  1. Check the formatting of the cells in both the Master and Source workbooks. If the cells are formatted differently (e.g. one is formatted as a percentage and the other is formatted as a decimal), this could cause the numbers to appear differently. Make sure the formatting is consistent between the two workbooks.
  2. Check for any hidden rows or columns in either workbook. If there are hidden rows or columns in the Source workbook, this could cause the linked cells in the Master workbook to display incorrect values. Unhide any hidden rows or columns and see if that resolves the issue.
  3. Check for any circular references in either workbook. If there are circular references (i.e. a formula in a cell that refers back to the same cell), this could cause the linked cells to display incorrect values. Check for circular references in both workbooks and resolve them if necessary.
  4. Check for any errors in the formulas in either workbook. If there are errors in the formulas (e.g. a typo or incorrect reference), this could cause the linked cells to display incorrect values. Double-check all formulas in both workbooks to make sure they are correct.
  5. Check for any issues with the links themselves. Sometimes links can become corrupted or broken, which can cause the linked cells to display incorrect values. Try deleting and re-creating the links between the two workbooks to see if that resolves the issue.

Hopefully one of these solutions will help you resolve the issue with the linked cells displaying incorrect values. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help with!
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Guy Guy is offline
Junior Member

I'm using Excel 2002 with SP3. The problem is that the majority of links seem to work fine. Then suddenly I come across a number that is clearly wrong and when I check through, the cell to which it is linked has this completely different number. I have checked in the edit links box and all the sheets to which the Master is linked are set to automatic update. The Source spreadsheets are not open when I work on the Master and I always click 'Update' when opening the Master.

Thanks

Bill Manville

Did you try Nick's suggestion of Ctrl+Alt+F9 in the master workbook?

With the source workbook closed, if you re-enter the formula that gives
the wrong result does it then give the correct result?

If you do open the source workbook when the Master is open does the
correct value get propagated through the link?

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England