Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MB MB is offline

Default VLOOKUP Between Sheets

I need help with a formula, please. I have two sheets: Sheet 1 is a
purchase order form. Sheet 2 holds the following:

Col A Col B
BG Bag
BX Box
YD Yard
FT Feet

I used Data Validation to create the drop down box in the Purchase Order and
named B1:B4, above, as "Description." The choice would be from
"Description," but the value to be returned should be from Column A (the
abbreviations).

I am using 2003.

Thank you!
--
MB
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In an adjacent cell

=INDEX(Sheet2!A:A,MATCH(B1,Sheet2!B:B,0))

where B1 is the DV cell.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"MB" wrote in message
I need help with a formula, please. I have two sheets: Sheet 1 is a
purchase order form. Sheet 2 holds the following:

Col A Col B
BG Bag
BX Box
YD Yard
FT Feet

I used Data Validation to create the drop down box in the Purchase Order

and
named B1:B4, above, as "Description." The choice would be from
"Description," but the value to be returned should be from Column A (the
abbreviations).

I am using 2003.

Thank you!
--
MB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MB MB is offline

Thanks, Bob. Which sheet do I put this formula in? And adjacent to which
cell?

Thank you so much for your help.
--
MB

"MB" wrote in message
I need help with a formula, please. I have two sheets: Sheet 1 is a
purchase order form. Sheet 2 holds the following:

Col A Col B
BG Bag
BX Box
YD Yard
FT Feet

I used Data Validation to create the drop down box in the Purchase Order

and
named B1:B4, above, as "Description." The choice would be from
"Description," but the value to be returned should be from Column A (the
abbreviations).

I am using 2003.

Thank you!
--
MB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In the sheet that the Data Validation is in, i.e. not Sheet2, and adjacent
to the DV (you can put it anywhere as long as you reference the DV cell, B1
in my example, it just seems more sensible to be adjacent).

--
HTH

Bob Phillips