Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Counting Charaters

How can I count the number of characters in a cell?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

With
A1: (a text value)

Try this
B1: =LEN(A1)

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Coccoleggs" wrote in message
How can I count the number of characters in a cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That did not work. But thats for the suggestion. When I put the formula in
is showed 28 for a cell that has 10 characters.

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

With
A1: (a text value)

Try this
B1: =LEN(A1)

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Coccoleggs" wrote in message
How can I count the number of characters in a cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What is in cell A1?

"Coccoleggs" wrote:

That did not work. But thats for the suggestion. When I put the formula in
is showed 28 for a cell that has 10 characters.

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

With
A1: (a text value)

Try this
B1: =LEN(A1)

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Coccoleggs" wrote in message
How can I count the number of characters in a cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I hate to disagree, but if the LEN function says you have 28
characters....then you HAVE 28 characters. What are the actual contents of
that cell?

Try this to test.....
Select the cell in question
Press [F2]...to engage Edit Mode

If that cell contains a formula
Press [F9]...to convert the formula to its calculated value.

Now count the characters displayed in the formula bar.
Are there blanks that you hadn't considered?

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2003, WinXP

"Coccoleggs" wrote:

That did not work. But thats for the suggestion. When I put the formula in
is showed 28 for a cell that has 10 characters.

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

With
A1: (a text value)

Try this
B1: =LEN(A1)

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Coccoleggs" wrote in message
How can I count the number of characters in a cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In the a column there are descriptions of materials that I need to cut down
to only 60 characters.

I did find a way around it. I put 61 characters in a cell, highlighted the
whole column, then went to text to column, then i put the cursor between the
60 and 61 characters. I filtered out all the cells with more than 60
characters. Its not a formula but it works

"Sandy" wrote:

What is in cell A1?

"Coccoleggs" wrote:

That did not work. But thats for the suggestion. When I put the formula in
is showed 28 for a cell that has 10 characters.

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

With
A1: (a text value)

Try this
B1: =LEN(A1)

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Coccoleggs" wrote in message
How can I count the number of characters in a cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

the content of the cell was "plexiglass"
the second cell said "tape, cables, AV tape, misc. cables" and it said both
cells had 28 characters in it.

But the text to column thing worked it separated the 60 characters out .

"Coccoleggs" wrote:

That did not work. But thats for the suggestion. When I put the formula in
is showed 28 for a cell that has 10 characters.

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

With
A1: (a text value)

Try this
B1: =LEN(A1)

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Coccoleggs" wrote in message
How can I count the number of characters in a cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sounds like the non-breaking space problem which
Text to Columns will overcome.

What happens to the original data if you do EditReplace
Find what: Alt+0160
Replace with: leave this box blank
Click Replace All

Will the LEN function now give results that you would expect to see.

Regards
Martin

"Coccoleggs" wrote:

That did not work. But thats for the suggestion. When I put the
formula in
is showed 28 for a cell that has 10 characters.

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

With
A1: (a text value)

Try this
B1: =LEN(A1)

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Coccoleggs" wrote in message
How can I count the number of characters in a cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Plexiglass" is 10 characters
"tape, cables, AV tape, misc. cables" is 35 characters

So a returned value of 28 is incorrect in both cases.

What you're describing suggests that you may have Calculation set to MANUAL.
If that's the case...when you copy a formula to another cell, it will retain
it's previous value.

If you press [F9] and the formulas change to correct values...
fix it this way:
From the Excel main menu:
<tools<options<calculation tab
Check: Automatic.......Click [OK]

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2003, WinXP

"Coccoleggs" wrote:

That did not work. But thats for the suggestion. When I put the formula in
is showed 28 for a cell that has 10 characters.

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

With
A1: (a text value)

Try this
B1: =LEN(A1)

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Coccoleggs" wrote in message
How can I count the number of characters in a cell?

Counting [email protected] Excel Worksheet Functions 5 June 17th 07 05:35 PM
Counting dan Excel Worksheet Functions 3 November 6th 06 08:11 AM
counting chiapas77 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 March 3rd 06 11:19 PM
Counting rows, then counting values. Michael via OfficeKB.com Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 7 August 4th 05 10:57 PM
Counting names in a column but counting duplicate names once TBoe Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 9 May 11th 05 11:24 PM