Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ben Moir

Default Why is Excel Save As feature not working?

I have Office Excel 2003 installed on my XP 2002 SP2 machine. (It's been
installed for probably *at least* 2 years now.)

Some time...I'd say in the last 1-2 months, although I cannot nail down the
time-frame with 100% confidence...the 'Save As' feature (in Excel) stopped
working. So, if I open an existing XLS spreadsheet or an existing
tab-delimited text file within Excel, and do nothing but immediately attempt
to 'Save As', Excel basically becomes useless -- I have to terminate Excel
using Task Manager!

Any thoughts as to why this is happening?
I've made sure to do 'Windows Updates' and also the more specific 'Microsoft
Office' updates....but still 'Save As' renders Excel useless.

I have definitely used this feature successfully up until some time fairly
recently...again, I think in the last 1-2 months.

thanks in advance for your help!
later,
Ben

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

Right-click on the My Computer icon on the Windows desktop,
left-click on Disconnect Network Drive, and disconnect any mapped
drives that are not currently available.

If the previous suggestion doesn't help, then see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165 "Problems in Windows
Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security update
MS06-015". If you aren't comfortable with editing the Windows
registry yourself, then go to
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll
down to Item No. 383 "Hewlett-Packard's Share-to-Web software -
Fix". Download and run the script to automatically modify your
registry as described in KB918165. You may need to temporarily
disable your antivirus program in order to run the script.

On April 25, a revised version of the MS06-015 update was
released. The revised update supposedly interacts better with
the older HP and nVidia software that the April 11 version had
problems with. You can download the revised update from
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms06-015.mspx .