Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default restrict access to individual users - excel tabs

I have tabs in an excel spreadsheet set up for different individuals. I want
to put in a password that allows that specific user to open up their tab only
so that only they can view their information in that tab. I will then put
the file in a shared folder.
--
Rich
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: restrict access to individual users - excel tabs

Hi Rich,

To restrict access to individual users for specific tabs in an Excel spreadsheet, you can use the "Protect Sheet" feature. Here are the steps:
  1. Open your Excel spreadsheet and select the tab that you want to restrict access to.
  2. Click on the "Review" tab in the Excel ribbon.
  3. Click on the "Protect Sheet" button in the "Changes" group.
  4. In the "Protect Sheet" dialog box, check the "Protect worksheet and contents of locked cells" option.
  5. Enter a password in the "Password to unprotect sheet" field. This will be the password that the user will need to enter to view the tab.
  6. In the "Allow all users of this worksheet to" section, uncheck all the options except for "Select unlocked cells".
  7. Click on the "OK" button to apply the protection.

Repeat these steps for each tab that you want to restrict access to. When you're done, save the Excel file and put it in the shared folder.

Now, when a user opens the Excel file and tries to access a protected tab, they will be prompted to enter the password that you set up. If they enter the correct password, they will be able to view the tab. If they enter the wrong password, they will not be able to view the tab.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Rich,
In the sheet you want to hide and unhide with a password, right click with
the mouse on the tab name and then copy this code, then hide it, when trying
to open the sheet from the Menue it will ask for the password, change
password to yours

Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
Dim strPassword As String
On Error Resume Next
Me.Protect Password:="MANAGER"
Me.Columns.Hidden = True

strPassword = InputBox("Enter password to access DATA sheet")

If strPassword = "" Then
ActiveSheet.Visible = False
Worksheets("Menu").Select
Exit Sub
ElseIf strPassword < "MANAGER" Then
MsgBox "Password Incorrect "
ActiveSheet.Visible = False
Worksheets("Menu").Select
Exit Sub
Else
Me.Unprotect Password:="MANAGER"
Me.Columns.Hidden = False
End If
Range("A1").Select
On Error GoTo 0
End Sub

Private Sub Worksheet_Deactivate()
On Error Resume Next
Me.Columns.Hidden = True
On Error GoTo 0
End Sub

"Rich" wrote:

I have tabs in an excel spreadsheet set up for different individuals. I want
to put in a password that allows that specific user to open up their tab only
so that only they can view their information in that tab. I will then put
the file in a shared folder.
--
Rich

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I did it but even though it restricts access to change anything it still
doesn't stop someone from viewing it. I need each tab to be viewed by only
the one person that I give the password to.
--
Rich

"Rich" wrote:

I have tabs in an excel spreadsheet set up for different individuals. I want
to put in a password that allows that specific user to open up their tab only
so that only they can view their information in that tab. I will then put
the file in a shared folder.
--
Rich

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This type of security in excel is not very robust. If you really want to stop
all others from seeing that data, then don't put it in excel or don't share the
workbook with others.

"Rich" wrote:

I have tabs in an excel spreadsheet set up for different individuals. I want
to put in a password that allows that specific user to open up their tab only
so that only they can view their information in that tab. I will then put
the file in a shared folder.
--
Rich

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Rich,
If you enter the code and all the tabs are hidden then you create a menu for
each tab you want to open, Let's say you have sheet A to be seen by user
Peter and sheet B to be seen by user George. Your menu will have to buttoms
one that will say Sheet A and other sheet B. With the macro provided you save
it in Sheet A and B but change the password in one of them so when peter push
the buttom Sheet A it will ask for the password that only he has and only
will open that sheet, if peter wants to use his password to open sheet B
won't be able. Hope this explanation helps, I have an spreadsheet set up in
that way, Then when in sheet A you will want a button that says menu that
when pressed will hide the sheet and return to the menu tab

"Rich" wrote:

I have tabs in an excel spreadsheet set up for different individuals. I want
to put in a password that allows that specific user to open up their tab only
so that only they can view their information in that tab. I will then put
the file in a shared folder.
--
Rich

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Dave Peterson wrote...
This type of security in excel is not very robust. *If you really want to stop
all others from seeing that data, then don't put it in excel or don't share the
workbook with others.

Expanding on this, *ANY* workbook Smith can open, Smith can access the
values of *ALL* cells in *ALL* worksheets even without trying to crack
passwords. If Smith has his own worksheet named Smith - Private, and
if he knew that Jones had a comparable worksheet, then Smith could
reasonably conclude the workbook contained a hidden worksheet named
Jones - Private. All Smith would need to do find values in the Jones -
Private worksheet would be entering formulas like

='Jones - Private'!G17

Excel will happily return the value.

The only robust security Excel provides is workbook-open passwords,
which prevent users from OPENING files unless they provide correct
password. If there were multiple people who'd need access to their own
data in the current all-user workbook, the only robust approach in
Excel is creating separate copies of the workbook, one for each user
with that user's data, then saving these files with a DIFFERENT
workbook-open passwords. If you need shared data, use another workbook
to hold it which all users could access.