Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Computer crashes when Office program disc is inserted.

My OS is Windows XP Home, and I am using Office XP Standard 2002. I am having
a problem with Excel. The problem began this morning. It takes 2 minutes to
open a file, and then it's a blank Excel screen. The only thing that has
changed is that McAfee did a virus scan this morning. I did a system restore,
but it didn't help. I tried to do a repair, but when I inserted the program
disc, my system crashed, rebooted, and opened with a "Serious Error" message.
This is wierd. Over the years I have done repairs, installed, and uninstalled
this program. For your info: I can open Excel, then open the file from there,
and it works perfectly. Any suggestions??
Thanks
Ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sounds as if you have a problem when trying to open a file from Explorer, but
not when opening same from within Excel? If true, open Excel, click on
Tools, Options, and deselect the option "Ignore other programs" on the
General tab.
--
Hth

Kassie Kasselman
Change xxx to hotmail

"Ron Weaver" wrote:

My OS is Windows XP Home, and I am using Office XP Standard 2002. I am having
a problem with Excel. The problem began this morning. It takes 2 minutes to
open a file, and then it's a blank Excel screen. The only thing that has
changed is that McAfee did a virus scan this morning. I did a system restore,
but it didn't help. I tried to do a repair, but when I inserted the program
disc, my system crashed, rebooted, and opened with a "Serious Error" message.
This is wierd. Over the years I have done repairs, installed, and uninstalled
this program. For your info: I can open Excel, then open the file from there,
and it works perfectly. Any suggestions??
Thanks
Ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi kassie
On my General Tab it has "Ignore other applications". It was already
deselected.
Thanks for your input.
Ron