Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Hide ribbon or menu bar in Excel 2007

This totally hides/shows the ribbon:

Sub HideRibbon()
Application.ExecuteExcel4Macro "SHOW.TOOLBAR(""Ribbon"",False)"
End Sub

Sub ShowRibbon()
Application.ExecuteExcel4Macro "SHOW.TOOLBAR(""Ribbon"",True)"
End Sub

This is probably an oversight by MS since the VBA equivalent does not hide
the ribbon. Now that it's public it may not survive the first SP.

You'd still need to run your code to kill the various context (right-click)
menus.

--
Jim
"Shahin.H" wrote in message
| Hi everybody,
| Does anybody know how to hide ribbon or menu bar in Excel 2007 using VBA
code?
| I applied following solution:
|
| Dim iCounter As Integer
| For iCounter = 1 To CommandBars.Count
| Application.CommandBars(iCounter).Enabled = False
| Next
|
| This code works in Excel 2003, however it does not work in Excel 2007?
|
| I would be very grateful if anybody could help me.
|
| Best regards,
| Shahin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim,
MS has already started asking around about killing off xl4 macros.
Maybe toolbar/ribbon control is one of the reasons?
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

wrote in message
| Hi everybody,
| Does anybody know how to hide ribbon or menu bar in Excel 2007 using VBA
code?
| I applied following solution:
|
| Dim iCounter As Integer
| For iCounter = 1 To CommandBars.Count
| Application.CommandBars(iCounter).Enabled = False
| Next

| This code works in Excel 2003, however it does not work in Excel 2007?|
| I would be very grateful if anybody could help me.|
| Best regards,
| Shahin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

They've wanted to dump XL4 macros for years just so they don't have to
maintain them. I filed a few bugs on XL4 code for the XL12 beta that they
addressed so it does use up some of their time. The MVPs gave MS a list of
the functionality that is now only available via XL4 code that they'd want
to see added to VBA before killing off XL4. If MS did that, I'd wouldn't be
unhappy to see the end of it, even though I still have some old code to
convert.

--
Jim
"Jim Cone" wrote in message
| Jim,
| MS has already started asking around about killing off xl4 macros.
| Maybe toolbar/ribbon control is one of the reasons?
| --
| Jim Cone
| San Francisco, USA
|

| http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware
| "Jim Rech"
| wrote in message
| This totally hides/shows the ribbon:
|
| Sub HideRibbon()
| Application.ExecuteExcel4Macro "SHOW.TOOLBAR(""Ribbon"",False)"
| End Sub
|
| Sub ShowRibbon()
| Application.ExecuteExcel4Macro "SHOW.TOOLBAR(""Ribbon"",True)"
| End Sub
|
| This is probably an oversight by MS since the VBA equivalent does not hide
| the ribbon. Now that it's public it may not survive the first SP.
|
| You'd still need to run your code to kill the various context
(right-click)
| menus.
|
| --
| Jim
| "Shahin.H"
|
| wrote in message
|| Hi everybody,
|| Does anybody know how to hide ribbon or menu bar in Excel 2007 using VBA
| code?
|| I applied following solution:
|| Dim iCounter As Integer
|| For iCounter = 1 To CommandBars.Count
|| Application.CommandBars(iCounter).Enabled = False
|| Next
|| This code works in Excel 2003, however it does not work in Excel 2007?|
|| I would be very grateful if anybody could help me.|
|| Best regards,
|| Shahin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim,
Thanks for the overview. At least they are asking this time.
It now may seem silly to most, but dumping "Card File"
from Windows was an irritant to me for a very long time.
Regards,
Jim Cone