Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Need Help am Brain Dead today.

I know how this works and why
=index(CostList!$A$1:$E$200,Match($A54,CostList!$A $1:$A$200,0),Match($M$1,CostList!$A$1:$E$1,0))
but now I have confused my self to the point i can not progress. What I need
to do is look up a single Cell, Match it to a column and then get the
result from the next column. Like Following.

A5 Butter C3 Milk 2
D3 Cream 14
E3 Butter 7
F3 Cheese 3

B5 Result (7).

I have tried Lookup, VLOOKup etc and nothign happens. Any help to Unstick me
as I am nto starting to do alot of single lookup verse 1 to many columns. BTW
the result shold be 7. I dont need the (). I have no problem with matching
2 items liek above but single have me stumped. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ok for the most part it works. If I change A5(from Butter to another it may
or may not give me the right info. If I out another column like B5(and make
it a number 1.2.3.4.5 etc and then number next to C3 in B3 a number it gives
em the exact number every time. How do i fix the text part soit doest it
every time?

"NickHK" wrote:

=VLOOKUP(A5,C3:F4,2,TRUE)

NickHK

"Khanjohn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ok i have worked it and found no matter if its a number or text it has to be
in ascendign order to get the result next to it. How do I make ti match what
is in A5 and get what is next to a5 as the value or text in A5 may change?

"NickHK" wrote:

=VLOOKUP(A5,C3:F4,2,TRUE)

NickHK

"Khanjohn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

did you try Vlookup with False instead of TRUE

=VLOOKUP(A5,C3:F4,2,FALSE)

"Khanjohn" wrote:

Ok i have worked it and found no matter if its a number or text it has to be
in ascendign order to get the result next to it. How do I make ti match what
is in A5 and get what is next to a5 as the value or text in A5 may change?

"NickHK" wrote:

=VLOOKUP(A5,C3:F4,2,TRUE)

NickHK

"Khanjohn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Joel that worked fine if not indexed. That solved it fo rme and i cna
use True also in some others. Not sure whY when I tried it before it didnt
work.. weird

"Khanjohn" wrote:

Ok i have worked it and found no matter if its a number or text it has to be
in ascendign order to get the result next to it. How do I make ti match what
is in A5 and get what is next to a5 as the value or text in A5 may change?

"NickHK" wrote:

=VLOOKUP(A5,C3:F4,2,TRUE)

NickHK