Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Boriana

Default Formula for selecting the greater of two values?

Hello,

Can anyone help me with the following: I would like one of the cells
on my spreadsheet to reflect the greater of two values. In other
words, let's say cell A1 contains the value 23 and cell A2 contains the
value 24. How do I make a third cell, i.e. cell B3, automatically
reflect the greater value (in this example, 24)? When it comes to
formulas, I'm only familiar with the most basic of basics, like
summation or subtraction or multiplication. So if anyone could provide
a basic formula, I would very greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

--
Boriana
Boriana's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29992

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Formula for selecting the greater of two values?

Using the MAX Function in Excel

1. In cell B3, type the following formula:
Formula:
=MAX(A1,A2
2. Press Enter.

The MAX function will compare the values in cells A1 and A2, and return the greater value in cell B3.

If you have more than two values to compare, you can include them in the MAX function separated by commas. For example, if you want to find the greatest value among cells A1, A2, A3, and A4, you can use the formula
Formula:
=MAX(A1,A2,A3,A4
.

I hope that helps!
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Govind

Hi,

Type in this formula in B3

=MAX(A1,A2)

Regards

Govind.

Boriana wrote:

Hello,

Can anyone help me with the following: I would like one of the cells
on my spreadsheet to reflect the greater of two values. In other
words, let's say cell A1 contains the value 23 and cell A2 contains the
value 24. How do I make a third cell, i.e. cell B3, automatically
reflect the greater value (in this example, 24)? When it comes to
formulas, I'm only familiar with the most basic of basics, like
summation or subtraction or multiplication. So if anyone could provide
a basic formula, I would very greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bpeltzer

In cell B3: =max(a1,a2)
In general, if you're not sure where to start with a formula, click in the
cell where you want the result and, on the menu bar, Insert Function. In
the dialog, describe what you're trying to do and Excel is pretty good about
offering up relevant functions. If you click on one of the functions
suggested, the bottom of the dialog tells a little more about what that
function does.

"Boriana" wrote:

Hello,

Can anyone help me with the following: I would like one of the cells
on my spreadsheet to reflect the greater of two values. In other
words, let's say cell A1 contains the value 23 and cell A2 contains the
value 24. How do I make a third cell, i.e. cell B3, automatically
reflect the greater value (in this example, 24)? When it comes to
formulas, I'm only familiar with the most basic of basics, like
summation or subtraction or multiplication. So if anyone could provide
a basic formula, I would very greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

--
Boriana
Boriana's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29992
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=496845

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Boriana

Hi,

I appreciate the tip. Thank you very much.

Bonny

--
Boriana
Boriana's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29992
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=496845

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Boriana

Thank you, Govind. That's exactly what I was looking for!

Bonny

Govind Wrote:
Hi,

Type in this formula in B3