GarryFerg

Default linking cells in Excel 2003. How to not truncate to 255 characters.

We have 2 Excel workbooks. One ( workbook 1 ) has some cells which derive
their contents by linking to cells in another workbook ( workbook 2 ).
"Updating" populates workbook 2's cells but only with the first 255
characters of each cell. Unfortunately we have many cells containing more
than 255 chars.
A link might look like:
='\\Ravel\spower\tmp\gfer\[Allstate Problem List.xls]Closed Problems'!$K147

We do have a sort of work round if the link does not have a pathname but
I think it should work as it is or I should have found ref to this
limitation by now !
It works in Excel 97 !!! Any help much appreciated. Garry Ferguson
Frank Kabel

Hi
this shouldn't work in Excel 97 as well. AFAIK no workaround exist for
this

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"GarryFerg" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...
We have 2 Excel workbooks. One ( workbook 1 ) has some cells which

derive
their contents by linking to cells in another workbook ( workbook

2 ).
"Updating" populates workbook 2's cells but only with the first 255
characters of each cell. Unfortunately we have many cells containing

more
than 255 chars.
A link might look like:
='\\Ravel\spower\tmp\gfer\[Allstate Problem List.xls]Closed

Problems'!$K147

We do have a sort of work round if the link does not have a pathname

but
I think it should work as it is or I should have found ref to this
limitation by now !
It works in Excel 97 !!! Any help much appreciated. Garry Ferguson

Dave Peterson

Did it really work in xl97???

What happens if you close that "sending" workbook, then select the cell with the
long string that's returned and hit F2, enter (just to reevaluate the formula).

(I recall that I had trouble in xl97, too!)

GarryFerg wrote:

We have 2 Excel workbooks. One ( workbook 1 ) has some cells which derive
their contents by linking to cells in another workbook ( workbook 2 ).
"Updating" populates workbook 2's cells but only with the first 255
characters of each cell. Unfortunately we have many cells containing more
than 255 chars.
A link might look like:
='\\Ravel\spower\tmp\gfer\[Allstate Problem List.xls]Closed Problems'!$K147

We do have a sort of work round if the link does not have a pathname but
I think it should work as it is or I should have found ref to this
limitation by now !
It works in Excel 97 !!! Any help much appreciated. Garry Ferguson

--

Dave Peterson
GarryFerg

Thanks v much Frank and Dave.
I just thought I'd seek other views as well !
I retried in Excel 97.
It does work slightly differently in 97. Consider a "target" cell which has
a simple link - that contains a pathname - to a "source" cell. If just the
target workbook is open the update will be only 255 chars. If the source is
opened too then somehow the pathname gets removed from the link and the
update then works!

Anyway it doesn't work in 2003! I take it neither of you have ever found a
way of getting more than 255 chars across ?????
Many thanks, Garry

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

I don't think any one has gotten more than 255 characters with the sending
workbook closed.

And xl2002 behaves the same way as you describe xl97.

What do you mean that it doesn't work the same way in xl2003? What's different?

The only difference I know about is what happens when you open a workbook that
was created in an earlier version of excel and that workbook has links.

xl2002+ likes to recalculate any workbooks that were created in previous
versions. In earlier versions of excel, if you answer No to the update links
prompt, the existing values are kept. In xl2002+, you get #Ref! errors.

If that's the difference, then...

Jim Rech posted a registry tweak:
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...GP11.phx .gbl

Maybe it'll work ok for you.

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

[...]

GarryFerg

Dave,
Upon further investigation I think it works the same in all versions of Excel.
I have posted my problem on partners.microsoft.com's Excel 2003 section.
I'll let you know what response I get.
Thanks, Garry